Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector Remote Finished

http://www.beautifulwood.net/dcremote.html

This is from Dennis Peacock's site and I followed it to the letter. This stuff is pretty simple once you get one in your hands.

Guess what? Now I'm replacing the two 24-hour mechanical timers that control my pool pumps with, get this, SPRINKLER timers! Yep, they put out a 24 V signal and I picked up two contactors that have a 24 V coil (input) and can handle the 240 V the two pumps require. Now I can run my pool pumps every other day instead of every day.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

David Less Guest

Home built Stuff

Some of the most rewarding projects is home built tools and similar stuff I've built. It is a nice feeling to be able to build this stuff totally in my own shop.

I don't think anybody sells a remote that can handle a 5HP DC. (30 amp)
    My $.02

David

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand why some people build a remote when its so easy to buy one & their not very expensive. Please explain.
    Why do people build wood projects when they can buy one or rebuild vintage saws when a new one is availble?
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-25-2006 at 6:54 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Talking

Well Done Marty !
    Dave I like the looks of yours too. Love that big panel light .
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1129057881
    I hard wired mine into a dedicated ckt bkr and extended a dedicated outlet to the back room via EMT where the DC will eventually rest. I'll have to pull it if I move. It's safe but my local inspector didn't want it to stay around when I'm gone. But that's OK I ain't moving these machines .
    I've only got a few bucks into mine. The rest I got dumpster diving.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-25-2006 at 7:16 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Chris - Thanks. Never thought to look at Dennis' site. Doh!
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Why do people build wood projects when they can buy one or rebuild vintage saws when a new one is availble?
    Haha... You beat me to it.

I was thinking "Why would we build {insert: chairs, bowls, cutting boards, book shelves, tables, doors, etc...} when we can go buy them all over the place at low prices with no time insvestment, and no shop cleanup ?".

Both WW and electronics are hobbies of mine, so I'll be giving this a try if my DC ever gets more than 15 feet from my machinery. I'm still young and agile enough (42) to do a few extra laps around the shop each night.

My question to the original poster is why didn't you make a nice box out of wood for that remote setup? You could have put a metal box inside of it to keep it kosher with the NEC. Maybe some nice curly maple with a scrolled purple heart "Warning - High Voltage" inlay on the door. Good opportunity to inlay a fancy lightning bolt on something. I always wanted to do that, but I just can't think of a jewelry box motif to support it. The girlfriend said "I don't care how mch thought, time, or love you put in it. If you put a lightning bolt on it, it's fire wood.". Jeesh... Women. No sense of adventure.

Michael

Another advantage to building your own is that you can get a contactor and wire it for either 110 or 220. I currently use 110, but plan to upgrade to something larger someday. If I used a Long Ranger, I would have to go out and buy another one.

I just got a new Penn State catalog. Right in the front of it is a new heavy duty remote start unit for dust collectors. It can be used for 220v single or 220 and 440V three phase. It also has a postitive stop button so you can turn off the power when leaving the shop, that is so someones garage door opener doesn't start up your dust collector in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Okay I give in. I want one for my 2HP 220 volt hardwired and hardswitched Oneida.

I've searched for the original thread and have come up dry.

Thanks.
    Andy,
    Look for Penn State Item No. LR2244. It sounds just like what you are looking for.
    Mac

If you can pick up a standard motor starter from a junk yard of surplus electrical stuff outlet, ebay or what have you, that is sized for the motor you want to run all you need do is:

Put a 110v coil in the starter. Power the coil with one of those 10X remote switches that use the push button deivce to activate them. I bought a 6 pack of the push buttoners on ebay for something around $20. I have them hanging on sash chain from the overhead near all the machines that I dust collect. I can turn the thing on or off from anyplace in my shop by simply reaching up and pushing a button.

Marty,

Looks good. I'm curious as to why you used a 20 amp receptacle and a 15 amp plug?

Rob

Rob I couldn't find a 20 amp plug where I was shopping. After using the remote for a week I have decided to switch the power cord for a longer one and will switch out the plug with a 20 amp version. Good observation.