Thread: HELP! W/ vintage Delta/Milwaukee BS Please

Exclamation HELP! W/ vintage Delta/Milwaukee BS Please

I need opinions quickly.

I have the chance to buy one of these

The one I am looking at is in decent working condition w/ a 3/4 horse Delco motor on it and a riser block installed. The machine starts and runs fine. The blade tracks true and there are no obvious wobbles in the wheels or other problems. All of the adjusters are in working order and there is no major rust. The machine definitely needs some TLC but seems solid and has been used regularly.

I will be using the saw for recreational WWing use. I would like the ability to resaw as well as using it for curved cutting.

Is this saw capable of doing what I intended on using it for?
    What should I be looking at on the saw for signs of potential headaches down the road?
    What would be a fair price?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by Craig Stueve; 02-25-2006 at 9:47 AM.

Craig, That is the same saw I got from my Grandfather, it is an excellant example of a bandsaw. If the price is right grab it. I had to replace the tires shortly after I got mine, the blade kept spinning off. That was about a 30.00 investement that should last 20 years, that was about the length of time Granddad had written down that they were changed.

I need to replace the bearings but I havent gotten to it yet. I personally don't think you can go wrong. If it is in the condition you describe. Good luck Jay

Take the blade and the drive belt off and see if the wheels spin freely and smoothly. Then load it in the truck and bring it home

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

craig, these are good small bandsaws, just don`t plan on lots of resawing `cause they`re underpowered. they`ll scroll 2x material all day but 8" oak is a bit much for them.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Craig:

I also have an old Delta; mine is a 1970's model. They are great bandsaws, but for the money I spent upgrading mine to do heavy resawing (motor upgrade), and to get great cuts (Carter guides) and other usability upgrades (Carter Quick Release), it would have been cheaper for me to buy a new Rikon.

I agree with Tod that the motors on these old Deltas are probably not powerful enough for you to be happy with resawing, which is a big reason to have a bandsaw.

Problem areas for these are: Tires--you will likely have to replace/upgrade with urethane tires, which greatly improves smoothness; guides--the Delta guides are great but on older saws they may be loose and sloppy, and if they are too far gone you will have to replace with Carter guides, since the Delta replacements are way too expensive (been there, done that); also, check the bearings for any grinding or clicking noise. Replacing these is not a high-dollar job, however.

You will also want to replace the belt with a v-belt, and if you want to do heavy duty resawing, you can upgrade to a 1.5 or 2.0 HP motor, which is well worth the effort. I upgraded to Baldor 1.5 HP 220V and I can resaw and rip 8" ash "like buttah."

Bottom line is if you just want a good bandsaw to do shop work and light to moderate resawing, I'd go with a new Rikon, or even the new Craftsman, which is also made by the same people who make the Rikon.

If you are in love with the Delta saw--and these are wonderful old machines--you may have to do some tweaking to get it to do what you want it to do. I did with mine, and am very happy, but some people would rather cut wood than mess around with old woodworking machines--and after going through this experience on my Delta, I don't blame them!

If this Delta "speaks" to you, Louis Iturra of Iturra Designs (Phone: 888-722-7078) is the go-to guy for upgrade parts and advice. Order his catalog, which is a book-size volume that's an education in itself.

I had on old metal cutting version of this saw with the cast iron base. They are good saws and are probably comparable to what you can buy today with cast iron frames. Dust collection will be non existant on it so if that matters to you, look elsewhere to a new steel frame saw. Since nobody else answered your question on price, I'll give it a shot. I would say around 300 tops would be fair. I sold mine for 350 in running condition but new ones (yes they still make them) are well over a thousand. On top of that you are going to spend some money and time getting the saw into shape. When you start comparing that to a new saw at 4-500 say for a griz, then old isnt strictly a bargain anymore. But you are getting a piece of american iron which is becoming very rare these days. Goood Luck.

Thanks for the input.

A couple of further notes:

Eric - The tires have been upgraded recently to urethane and just need some cleaning.

The belt has also been switched out to a v-belt.

The guides have been replaced and are in good shape as well.

Until a few months ago the saw was used almost daily in a orthodics (sp?) shop to cut apart molds and other materials./

I think I can get the saw for around $150 so fro that price I think I'll take a shot. I think I could probably get that back out of it easily on the "Bay". And go ahead and buy a new saw. Plus I have to admit that I do sometimes like the thought of keeping a weel used piece of American steel alive and running.

Thanks,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stueve

Eric - The tires have been upgraded recently to urethane and just need some cleaning.

Until a few months ago the saw was used almost daily in a orthodics (sp?) shop to cut apart molds and other materials./

I think I can get the saw for around $150 so fro that price I think I'll take a shot. I think I could probably get that back out of it easily on the "Bay". And go ahead and buy a new saw. Plus I have to admit that I do sometimes like the thought of keeping a weel used piece of American steel alive and running.

Thanks,
    Craig
    craig, for a buck-n-a half, jump on it! i think you`ll be much happier with old american iron than recycled truck blocks assembled overseas...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stueve

Thanks,
    Craig
    Why are You still sitting in front of a computer? GO!!

Craig:

For $150--BUY IT! Sounds like it's in good shape, and you can upgrade this saw to do more with it as you need or want to. These old Deltas really do grow on you, and they're better in many ways than most of the modern iron-frame models. You're also keeping a great old piece of American workmanship running, and that's also a good thing!

Eric

Yes, I agree...for $150, it's a steal even if you needed to do quite a bit of refurb. (Assumes castings, etc., are all good) It will make a wonderful scroller and could do minor resawing, but nothing "heavy" or thick with any efficiency...not enough power.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gagnon
    Craig:

Bottom line is if you just want a good bandsaw to do shop work and light to moderate resawing, I'd go with a new Rikon, or even the new Craftsman, which is also made by the same people who make the Rikon.
    How do the Rikons perform, are they good quality, would a 12" OR 14" be good for resawing?