Thread: Trammel set

Trammel set

After seeing a photo of a set of homemade trammels I decided I could do that. I didn't spend a lot of time finishing them since they are just shop tools. Used some maple and oak scraps I had laying around the shop. Have not made the points yet, will do that one night this week.

Once I use these a while I have a peice of mahagony I might make another set from. Want to use these and see how I like them. Then I can improve the on the next set.

Very nice Jeff! Great use of on-hand scraps. What do you plan to use for the points?
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Now that I have looked at these a bit....there ugly! My chuck should be here this week, I will reshape the ends. They are to large and just ugly. I look at them and think, what was I thinking??

Bill, I am going to take some old drill bits and trim the length down. Then sharpen the shank and expoxy them in place. I went round and round on what to use and someone suggested those and I am sure I have a couple of ruined drill bits laying around. If not small ones are cheap and hard enough to hold a good point.

jeff, before you spend time on pretty, (these look fine!) use this design for a while and see how they function......i wonder how easy it will be to do fine adjustments with wedges. only a thought...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Jeff,

I'm with Tod. these are a great proof-of-concept piece. Use them, evaluate them, and let it all sink in before you rush out make another set. These certainly look like they will get the job done.

Dave Fried

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    ......i wonder how easy it will be to do fine adjustments with wedges
    Me too. Thats why I didn't spend anytime on finish. Also see that I need less taper on the wedges too. I am thinking that a small.... very small wooden mallet for fine adjustments. Just a small tap. We will see.

To be continued....