Thread: Back from Milwaukee show - thoughts

Back from Milwaukee show - thoughts

What a day. Just a quick trip up 94 and I'm at the fairgrounds by about 11:00.

For the first time, I took in a few of the seminars. One on the basics of finishing was pretty interesting. Best tip: don't sand over 220/240 except end grain which should be 400. Also got an explanation about the difference between dye and stain that was illuminating.

I picked up (finally) a Jointech Smartmiter sled. Got the extension table and tennon jig (a few pieces of wood) thrown in for the same price as the "basic set" on the web. After the web discount, the price difference was only about $45, to the good but I would have bought it with or without a "deal".

Also picked up a nifty foot-pedal switch for $20 for the old MKII power sharpener and a few other nick-nacks.

The two most interesting items of the day were the Freud adjustible dado (SD608 - very slick system - I'll add one some day) - very cool! and a mat cutting kit from Altos (nifty but expensive). I would have bought both in a heartbeat, but I do not have unlimited funds.

The drool all over myself prize had to go to the new Powermatic 2000 cabinet saw. I'm debating whether or not to give the old Jet Contractor an early retirement rather than a Bies fence and have not decided if the replacement will be restored old iron or will be brand new old looking iron. That saw is built great. The blade guard and riving knife should be copied immediately by every manufacturer using the crappy old style guards.

As always, I could spend a whole day watching a pro sharpen on Norton stones or a Tormek and watching the guy at Lie Nielson shave paper thin pieces off a block of wood.

I wouldn't go for the bargains, but these shows are not to be missed.

Was wondering if it would be worthwhile making the trip over to Orlando for their show in a couple of weeks and after seeing your report I think that I might make the effort. Allen

I won't go on sunday next time. I spent more on a bottle of beer (5.00), a bottle of water (3.00)2 hotdogs (5.00) than I spent on tools only bought a kreg DVD 7.99 what I was looking was sold out or no one had.
    maybe go to the chicago show in oct.
    I did watch a few of demonstrations.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RichMagnone
    The drool all over myself prize had to go to the new Powermatic 2000 cabinet saw.
    I did the same at the Chicago show last fall. Since then, I've done a great deal of soul searching and researching.

Yesterday at the show I put my order in for a Laguna TSS. I was blown away by the construction and capabilities of the saw, and the show pricing made it too attractive to walk away.

Some day I will take the time to take in a class. Normally however - like yesterday - I am on a mission to the vendor booths.

Rich, the guy that does the Smart Miter demos is a really great guy. I bought one a couple years ago, didn't get the tennoning jig, though I think I can make one after seeing it. I got a Joint-Tech hat instead. Used it for painting. LOML promptly threw it away cause it was dirty...didn't even ask! I have the Ridgid 3612 TS and the tape on the bottom of the sled (Teflon?) didn't line up with the runner on the webbed wing, so there was always a "bump" when using it. I asked him this year if there was a cure for it, and he pulled out a roll of the tape and cut me off a strip, wouldn't charge me for it!! Now it works very smoothly. You're going to love the sled. When I bought it, I was trying to decide which Miter saw I wanted to buy to replace my old cheapy. Haven't replaced the MS yet! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I went friday. I am now the proud owner of a PC 894 router. I can't wait till it warms up enough to use it.

I cruised around on Friday from noon to about 3:00. The show was smaller than in previous years. Did not really spend alot other than buying some Kreg screws. Interesting to see the parting of Sommerfield and CMT. I usually buy a view bits, but they were only seeling the sets. Woodcraft is pushing CMT more, they had 25% off, but the selction was much less than Sommerfield used to bring. The Delta PorterCable area was very nice and I had a really nice chat with the representative from American Sycamore between his talks. Almost bought the Jessem sliding table for my saw, it was $475, but I was not going to wait for the line at Woodcraft. They only had one register and the line was twenty deep. Perhaps another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Rich, the guy that does the Smart Miter demos is a really great guy. I bought one a couple years ago, didn't get the tennoning jig, though I think I can make one after seeing it. I got a Joint-Tech hat instead. Used it for painting. LOML promptly threw it away cause it was dirty...didn't even ask! I have the Ridgid 3612 TS and the tape on the bottom of the sled (Teflon?) didn't line up with the runner on the webbed wing, so there was always a "bump" when using it. I asked him this year if there was a cure for it, and he pulled out a roll of the tape and cut me off a strip, wouldn't charge me for it!! Now it works very smoothly. You're going to love the sled. When I bought it, I was trying to decide which Miter saw I wanted to buy to replace my old cheapy. Haven't replaced the MS yet! Jim.
    Great news - I was playing with it tonight out in the garage, but I won't fully set it up until I get a chance to make sure my saw is dead-on aligned. I would hate to ding it up and I'm more in a "cleaning mode" out there right now. I hope to be making perfect picture frames soon.

Just got back tonight from a trip up to the Milwaukee show. Had a nice time meeting up with my dad who lives up there and dinner with the family afterwards. We got there just before noon and the place was hoppin. Most of the seminars were pretty packed and the vendor demos were busy as well. It was good to see after the Chicago show last fall where it looked pretty darn slow when I was there.

Anyway, picked up a new Incra 3000 SE miter guage and the new little sled, the miter experss (not-so-stealth gloat). Also picked up a 2 pack of the Gripper system. It seems like a $100 well spent for keeping my digits intact. For the pic police, the new Incra stuff still in a box just a few hours old. Looking forward to playing with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong
    It was good to see after the Chicago show last fall where it looked pretty darn slow when I was there.
    I agree - the Chicago show at the Stevens Center had a lass chaotic feel. At Milwaukee, I felt like there was not enough time to see everything I wanted to see.

Went on Sunday. Very intersting, busier that I thought it would be. I didn't catch any creekers at the north concession stand at 2:00pm, I was a little late, but couldn't find anyone who had heard of Sam Mill Creek. If you were there and I you missed, my apologies.

As for the show, I enjoyed watching the guy at Lie-Nielsen making dovetails by hand. Very educational. Also liked the Jointech stuff I saw. Picked up a zero clearance insert, as I can't seem to find time to get the materials to make one. Bought some router bits at woodline, Watched some turner demos -- I am going to have to get a lathe someday, that looks like fun. Got lots of good ideas for my router fence i need to make next week.

Mike

I was there on Sunday. My wife and I drove down Saturday and had a nice dinner and went to a movie.
    The show seemed smaller than the last time I was there but I still spent most of the day at the show. (10:00 till 3:30) Sat in on the finishing seminar which I found interesting.

Bought the GREX 23 gauge pinner. It was a little spendy but once I saw it demonstrated I told my wife I had to have it.

Joe

Went to show - "sold" on Sommerfeld's stuff

Spent quite a bit of time at the Sommerfeld demos (went 2 days). I am completely impressed by his stuff. Not because he's a slick salesman, but you can tell by his demos that he has been doing this stuff himself for years. I call that the school of hard knocks. I am really struggling with buying the CMT rail and stile set. (It's $140 at WoodCraft). I couldn't bring myself to make a rush purchase decision at the show. I don't need the panel raiser because I am making "flat panels".
    Also am considering the tongue and groove system and his PocketPro Jig (I own the Kreg mini 1 hole and really like it). Been learning how to use it for a face frame. I did purchase Sommerfeld's 100 minute cabinetmaking CD. Anyone ever use his system?
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 02-27-2006 at 9:12 PM.