Thread: Grizzly 24 inch Drum Sander Problem

Grizzly 24 inch Drum Sander Problem

Hello All, I just joined the Creek and I am a Newbie. I have a 24 inch Grizzly 1066R Drum Sander. The problem I am experiencing is that the exit roller on the Unit seems to get caked on sawdust on it. Is it supposed to do this? I have a Grizzly G1028Z 1-1/2 HP Dust Collector connected to it. Any suggestions? I love Grizzly but this problem is annoying.

The problem is annoying, I would agree however it may not effect the outcome of the product. The problem is the result of a poor design of the hood on the top of the machine. Some have taken the time to correct the problem by stratigically placing baffles under the hood to help direct the dust into the collection ports. All dust collectors have some issues with dust collection, it is just not going to be perfect.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I've got the same sander. Bought it used, was like new.
    After installing velcro on the drums, and changing brands of paper, it is a nice sander. It has its quirks though.
    I have installed a plate in front of that rear hold down roller that helps with the dust control.

Thanks for the Advice

Thank you for the Tips I will give it a Go. Can you take some pics of your Modifications and Post em so I Can see them ?

Sure. I'll get some taken and post them.
    I redid the top also, for better collection. Yours still have the two 4" outlets? tied together into one?

First pic. I redid the top, making one long dust port hole.
    Second pic, notice my homemade blast gate.
    Third, forth pic. I used a piece of 1/2" ply between the last drum and outfeed roller. This creates a place for the dust to go up into the hood, instead of out of the end of the sander.
    Attached to the brackets that hold the outfeed pressure roller. I used longer bolts to install it. 1/4" ply will work, I just had a scrap of 1/2" handy.
    Is yours new enough it has velcro on the sanding drums? Or is it bare aluminium?
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the Pics

I have the model that has one drum aluminum and the back one has felt on it. Thanks for the pics I have two of the 4 inch dust ports but it seems i better get crackin on a new design.

Thanks

Ben

Ben. Have you throwed the paper off of it yet?

More

Yes I have more than once. I have not used it much since getting it on a Ebay Auction. Got a killer price on it though 650.00. I could not pass it up, and it takes up alot of room. I have a 3 car garage and Have 2 of the three car spaces. My wife uses the other stall for her van at the moment.

Ben

Throwing paper off. Thats how I ended up with mine. Bought it in 1993, a year old, hardly used. Previous owner couldn't keep the paper on it. An grizzlys paper isn't anything to write home about.
    I finally went the velcro route. Bought the velcro from Woodmaster Tools, and the paper they sell. Initial cost was about 130.00. Enough velcro to line both drums, and a roll of 6" paper, 75'.
    Haven't looked back. Made a totally new machine out of it.

Steve, I have a Performax 25X2 drum saner and I wondered about putting Velcro on the drums. I think that it would soften the contact surface a little ( a good thing).

CPeter

Yes. Probably would.
    Also if you are having trouble keeping the paper on, its the ticket.
    Paper is fixed for velcro.