Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning to everyone.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and it just came and went.

Friday was a day off and I spent 1/2 the day getting the Robland out and on it's way to Joe Blankenshain (new owner). I know I said that I wouldn't ship, but Joe talked me into it so I did. Lesson learned? You NEED a forklift for stuff this big and heavy!!!!

Friday night was spent cleaning up the shop some more.

Saturday was spent cleaning up the shop some more and more and more. And I spent some time working on my music for Sunday morning at church.

Sunday? Church and played bass guitar for both services. Came home and worked at work for about 4 hours to help a fellow teammate out and then it was back in the shop for more cleaning.

Do you get the slight hint that I've been busy with shop cleaning? Well, since the Robland X31 is now gone, I need to purchase a new planer and jointer. So, hopefully those two Powermatic pieces will be on the way this week. STEALTH GLOAT!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Spent most of Saturday designing and building a wooden top for my grinder stand that would allow proper functioning of my Wolverine grinding jigs. Saturday evening took the LOML out for supper to celebrate her birhtday.

Sunday, finished mounting the top. Ground some steel. Made the first model of my new turning product line. Dennis didn't like it?............

Sunday evening practiced applying finish to a turning using Myland's friction polish. Worked late in the shop playing with the Bomb.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Spent Saturday working on 3D CAD. Saturday afternoon I cut the project I created. Lots of fun but I still like making bowls on the lathe better. It would have been hard for me to make this one on the lathe so I guess making bowls on the Shopbot has its place.

Shopbot bowl.jpg

Shopbot bowl 2.jpg

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Good one.
    Lots of remuttle time. I can actually see some progress.
    Went to a Bill Staines concert at a great venue . We went out and did cocktailes and dinner after with Bill. Neat guy.
    Family time on Sunday and dinner with friends.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

2 days at WW show

Spent Friday Afternoon and all day Sunday at Milwaukee Woodworking show. I am completely "sold"(but didn't buy anything yet) on Sommerfeld's tongue and groove system and pocket hole system for building cabinets. Has anyone had any "negatvies" to say about his system? Also found out from the Dewalt/Porter Cable reps that I need to take in my 892 PC router and my 735 Dewalt Planer for factory service. 2 tools out for a while. That doesn't seem right. Hopefully the factory service center will turn them around quickly. It's amazing how much you come to rely on each tool for a project (and I am a hobbyist). Don't try to talk me into planing my boards by hand either. Not sure I am that good of a WW.

Also spent all day Saturday helping kids make pinewood derby cars at our church. We have an annual "Boy Scout" type pinewood derby, but many kids don't have dad's that will help them build a car, so me and a couple of guys haul our scroll saws, dremel tools, benchtop drill presses and sanders to our church basement and we have an afternoon of "start to finish" car building workshop. Lot's of fun to see kids create their own thing. They draw it up and we help them cut it.
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 02-27-2006 at 9:27 AM.

One fixed furnace...cost - $285.00!

Two Quahog Bonkers (Bonker copyright Ken&Glenn R/Bonkers, INC) and a Dipper http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31989 cost - 2 maple chunks...one cherry piece

Nursing sick DrLOML...cost - Priceless (nurses are the toughest people in the world to take care of)
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I got quite a lot of shop time this weekend and I think it was productive.

I found some scraps of yellow poplar left over from the bowsprit on the sailboat. Most of the scrap was a hair under 1/2" thick and glued up from three pieces to about 4" wide. I planed it down until is was smooth and then started a little wall cabinet with a drawer. Dovetails at the case and drawer corners, false front on the drawer. Glued up a couple of peices of this stuff to make the back panel and found enough solid stuff to glue up for a slab door. Still have to fit the door but it is coming along. This yellow poplar has a lot of sapwood and the heart is very green. I suppose I'll let it sit in the sun after I'm finished sanding and let the green work itself out.

Sorry, Tyler, no pictures yet.

Spent a long weekend with LOML at a B&B/Day Spa about 1-1/2 hours from home. I did a some looking at the nearby antique malls for old tools, but didn't find anything worth bringing home. Other than that we spend the weekend relaxing. I did spend a couple hours last night sharpening my new chisels.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    I got quite a lot of shop time this weekend and I think it was productive.

Sorry, Tyler, no pictures yet.
    "Sorry" Don't cut it Dave,
    No mercy even for MN guys.
    Your officially on double secret probation!!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Awesome WWing weekend for me. Wife and kids were out of town at MIL's house and spent 90% of the time in the shop. I managed to complete the milling of about 95% of rail and stile parts for about 30 raised-panel-doors. Both I and my planer got a workout this weekend. I wanted to head out to Hearne Hardwoods to pick through their pile for some tasty nuggets but never made it out there.

Saturday...
    - ripped the carpet + pad out of the boys room. vacuumed, pulled staples, pounded nails... and around 4:30 thought I would lay "just a few" strips of laminate flooring to see how it would look, and for practise. A little after 9:30 and the 12x12 room was almost finished - one row left that needed to be ripped down from the full width - including fiddling with the short pieces for the closet + cutting the door trim.
    - for some reason I felt rather sore when I tumbled into bed at night...

Sunday...
    - Taught Sunday school for my sons 1st grade class. In the afternoon spent some fun time in the shop ripping lots of thin strips and glued up 3 cutting boards. Two are mostly maple with some jatoba/walnut accent strips. One is Cherry with Maple strips. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to plane them down.

...art

Spent most of Saturday afternoon/early evening working on my shop. Sunday afternoon, more of the same. Been trying to finish this building up for a few months now. Got some cabinets hung (old kitchen take-outs) and finally enclosed the walls around my new (never been fired up) cyclone. Ductwork is probably next for me. It will be nice to use it and escape the major dust farm that exists in my shop now. No Tyler, no pics here either. I'm not too sure my shop would warrant pics anyway. I have always wanted to do some woodworking and decided that if I don't start it now I likely never will, so I at least have a shop under construction. It is a 16' by 24'.

Brad

Lounged around sat afternoon after work. Sunday I moved the reails on my Ridgid 3612. Now have 52 1/2" rip to right of saw! Finished the PDA holder and glued the felt in. Looks like it will work great. Watched a little of the final Olympic hockey game. Was rooting for the boys from the Stars (Finland), but it didn't happen. Had forgotten my wife was to be in Mckinney for a Agility Trial most of the day, so that kept me close to the house keeping an eye on the dogs. One of the foster dogs did spend some time with me in the shop. Kept trying to steal things to take to the back yard to chew on.
    Have a good week! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Good news. I Got the new General tablesaw leveled. Aligned the JessEm Mast-R-Slide properly. Finished overhauling my old Jet Contractor saw, then leveled and aligned it to act as the outfeed table for the General tablesaw. Built a transition table to join the two saws together. Looks sweet, I hope it works as planned.

Bad news. I tripped over the kerosene heater and tested the anti tip feature. It worked, but the kerosene heater still spilt some fuel, and filled the shop with black smoke. . No real damage, except to my pride, and some brain cells.

Well, I delivered the desk and had bring it back home! There was a communication error between us and the desk was 1 1/2" short! Not a big deal. I already have the the sides extended 1 1/2". I used pocket screws to attach it from the inside. I will re-paint it tomorrow. Re-delivery is set for next Sunday.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1