Thread: 1910 Project

1910 Project

Have new digital camera and would like to see if I can post my ongoing wood project. Have not worked on woodworking projects as much the last couple of years because we are building a new house. The house is to look as if it was built in 1910. If I get this right I will post some more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1910 you say? Hmmmm, hope you left out the toe kicks in the kitchen.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I know they aren't the most pratical things ever created for houses but I really like pocket doors for some reason. That grain is really prominent on those.

Hey - those doors look a lot like the ones in my parents house - built in 1911 as near as we could tell from old records. Now you just need the ~8" baseboards and 10" cove moldings at the ceiling.

The most remarkable thing of my parents house was the pair of big pocket doors that are oak on one side and maple on the other. Especially remarkable because of the two wood types joined together and almost 100 years later the doors are still straight and no cracks, etc. Of course much of that was quarter sawn as well.

I am working on baseboard now. The first picture is living room down the hall and the second is of the kitchen. The island still needs the baseboard on it also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most of the ideas came from a 1910 Sears Millwork catalog. I used as much rift and quartersawn oak as I could afford and had a hardwood dealer mill the casing from the dimensions in the catalog. This was cheaper than I could mill it.

Hi Byron,

A while back I completely redid a house that was built in 1903. The trim in your pics brought back memories. The doorways and base were all 1 x 6 clear doug fir. The wood had gotten so hard I pretty much had to pre-drill everything. It even had a pocket door setup just like yours.

Are you planing to put in wainscoting?

Will have 5 ft. high wainscoting in the library and one will have a book case 5 ft. high and the length of the wall.

Give us a picture of the bathroom

Is the toilet tank set up high on the wall? Has the bathtub got claw feet? Is the Kitchen sink soapstone. Certainly you don't have a washing machine - just a wasboard and soapstone tub, right?

All kidding aside, I think you are doing a fantastic job and it looks great.
    18th century nut --- Carl