Thread: Question for Grizzly G0490 Owners

Question for Grizzly G0490 Owners

I've had my G0490 jointer for about a week now and have a question for all of the other recent owners. How long does it take for your motor to spin up to full speed after you turn it on? Mine takes a full second or slightly more. The only reason I ask is that my Delta Unisaw also has a 3 HP, 220V motor and it reaches full speed faster than I can remove my finger from the ON button. So the Grizzly seems a little slow by comparison. Normally I wouldn't think twice about the starting time but I had some problems initially with the motor popping the internal overload breaker so I want to see if my motor is behaving similarly to the others. Thanks for your input.

This may be far off but I was having breakers trip on my planer. I got tunnel focused on electrical but after installing a new circuit etc, it turned out to be a tight bearing. It wouldn't hurt to pull the belt and check the motor and head for anything obvious.

Paul,

Had not even noticed so I just went out and turned on my GO490 and it took more than a full second for sure. Probably a second and a half or more. Then I went over and turned on my Unisaw and it was up to full speed, just like you said, before I could get my finger off of the start button.

So I guess that if mine is normal yours is normal. If mine is not normal we are both in trouble.

Allen

P.S. I remember you talking about your overload breaker problem. How is it now?
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 02-27-2006 at 5:06 PM.

4. My 490 takes at least a second, maybe a hair more to reach full speed. It is probably normal. I remembered reading a thread where someone was having troubles with overload and thought it may have been the cold tempature. I started mine this morning in my shop with no heat and had no problems. Outside temp was in the low teens, not sure what it was in the shop (dam cold). Got my rattle issue solved, it was the belt slapping the guard. Just moved it a bit to the right and cured it.

I think this machine is a great deal!!

Michael

Run-up speed probably has a lot to do with the weight of the cutter head. The saw is only spinning up a blade that weighs - what, 2 pounds? - whereas the Jointer head is probably more like fifteen or twenty pounds.

Also, the saw is geared (pullied?) about 1:1, while the jointer is nearly 1:2 (3450 rpm motor, and 5500 rpm head), so even with the same size motor, the jointer is (at least initially) at a disadvantage.

Same here

Hi guys

Yep, slow starter but when it gets up to speed it does just fine

Jay

Mine too! Takes about a second and a half. I agree with Jims theory. That cutter head isn't light. And the pulley ratio is almost 2:1.

Maybe it has a soft start feature like on most routers now days. Just a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    P.S. I remember you talking about your overload breaker problem. How is it now?
    I haven't had any more issues with it since the very first day. Hopefully it was just due to sitting in the extreme cold for so long.

Mine comes up to speed immediately.