Thread: Need Help in Deciding on 4" belt Sander

David Less Guest

Need Help in Deciding on 4" belt Sander

Hi All,

Finished glueing up some solid oak pannels. I guess it's time to break down and buy a new toy to help me flatten the pannels. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Bosch 4" VS or the Makita VS. I've used my fathers 3 1/2" and it is a die hard, well built machine. I'm questioning whether the 4" Bosch may be too heavy. The Makita is nice and light weight but not sure if it may be under powered (only 8 amps vs 10). Tools Crib gave both 4-5 stars but many said the Bosch is heavy and the Makita is under powered. Please help me decide.

David

I was looking at the 3x21 sander Bosch 1274dvs, a little lighter and rated very highly, I think with the Amazon coupon it nets to $126. I have always been lucky with both Bosch and Makita tools. If you are using it flat, weight does not matter as much vs using it at arms lengths to match up a scribed edge. Just buy a wide belt drum sander for smoothing those panels. If not that, I vote for the blue tool. (Bosch)

I have a Porter Cable 4x24" belt sander for sanding panels. For this purpose, it is excellent. The sander is a heavy monster but the weight is of no consequence to me when sanding horizontal surfaces.

david, if it`s not out of your budgit the portercable 504 is the best balanced, bilt like a tank sander on the market...02 tod

MVC-195S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I have a 4x24 Bosch varable speed. It's a great sander. I also had a makita the same size. I felt it didn't balance well so I got rid of it. You can't go wrong with Bosch. Mine is about 5 years old and gets used every day. I replaced the brushes and the cord. The cord was my fault. It is a little on the heavy side but gets the job done. I have also used the Porter Cable 504. It's a great sander but at almost twice the price. The only reason I didn't get a 504 was that they don't make a 4" wide sander. My belt sander is my only surfacing tool so I went for wider. Hope that helps.

I dont have a 4" but I have a 3x24 Makita 9920, there is a 4" model of it (Makita 9404) avail. I was hesitant but since my Skil 449 is out of comission and I can't find parts I bought it. I like the variable speed feature and the flush sanding is nice. I also like how i can turn it over lock the trigger and it sits with the belt facing up and it dont fall over, its nice for the few times i do something where I need to do that.

I'm not brand loyal here but I have used a few makita sanders and only one has died and that was after building a few houses with it (needed new brushes and my uncle decided to put it on the mantle next to the broken hammer as trophys) all of the other ones take a beating and keep on going. I've never tried a bosch sander.

I have the 9404 makita and love it plenty of power. But I have found for making panels flat and removing glue at joints I rely more and more on scrapers. The belt sander gets me into too much trouble.lol
    larry

Larry, I have a different suggestion. Forget the belt sander and buy a right angle random orbit sander. I have the Porter Cable 7336 6in. with hook and loop pad. I love it! The problem using a belt sander is the ease of gouging the wood and causing further problems. I buils furniture every day, and I don't even know where my old Craftsman belt sander is. Hope this helps.