Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Manhatten bowl results...pic!

Epoxy Manhatten bowl results...pic!

Here a bowl I made a week or so ago. It is spalted hackberry and was way too punky to get a smooth cut. I used my Epoxy Manhatten method and here is the result:

For those who don't know, the epoxy manhatten (aptly named by Bill Stevener!) is System Three epoxy thinned with DNA to the consistency of real maple syrup. You turn your piece to a little thicker than you want and then apply this until the wood will not take anymore. Let it sit 48 hours to cure and then finish turning. The really punky areas will soak up more epoxy and give a visual contrast, as in this case. The white areas are good solid wood that did not drink any up.

I gave the bowl away but IIRC, it is around 5" diameter and 5" tall with wall thickness of 3/8 or so. The epoxy completely penetrated 100% on the punky areas. I know the form is not anything exciting but i was really just experimenting with the wood. The wood was soo punky you could stick an awl 1 1/2" deep into the blank in some areas!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck
    Here a bowl I made a week or so ago. It is spalted hackberry and was way too punky to get a smooth cut. I used my Epoxy Manhatten method and here is the result:

For those who don't know, the epoxy manhatten (aptly named by Bill Stevener!) is System Three epoxy thinned with DNA to the consistency of real maple syrup
    So, if it is the consistency of fake maple syrup it won't work? It looks great and I guess this means I've got to get some system 3 epoxy...

I was already sold on this idea...and your bowl is a shining example why. Pretty exciting that all the wood I thought might be unworkable now has new life and possibilities. Thanks Curtis!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very nice Curtis. Glad it worked for you. I too used "epoxy manhattan" and it hardend up the wood nicely. But I have a question. What is system 3 epoxy. The stuff I bought is 2 part epoxy with 5 min drying time. Is it a brand name?

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

The bowls looks great Chris.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Way too nice I like the punk!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Well done, Chris! The method used has given that piece 'o wood a new life. Question, though: How tough then is the post-epoxy to turn??? Rough on tools???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great work Curtis. I am going to try that next time instead of CA. Bowl looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jim - System Three is a brand name for a suite of epoxy products.

Curtis - I wonder if you'd getter better results using Grade A Fancy Maple Syrup from Vermont as opposed to all other lower forms of syrup from lesser locations.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    So, if it is the consistency of fake maple syrup it won't work? It looks great and I guess this means I've got to get some system 3 epoxy...
    No, Chris, it will NOT work! It has to be EXACTLY like real maple syrup and I am not talking about some commercially made crap either. Nothing but the best Vermont syrup will work!!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Very nice Curtis. Glad it worked for you. I too used "epoxy manhattan" and it hardend up the wood nicely. But I have a question. What is system 3 epoxy. The stuff I bought is 2 part epoxy with 5 min drying time. Is it a brand name?

Jim
    Jim,

As already mentioned, System Three is a brand. The only reason I mention a brand name is because that is the only one I have tried this method with. My concern with 5 minute epoxy would be the initial thickness before thinning. How were your results with the 5 minute?
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Curtis - I wonder if you'd getter better results using Grade A Fancy Maple Syrup from Vermont as opposed to all other lower forms of syrup from lesser locations.
    Andy, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind! Is there any other kind of maple syrup?!

My parents have a small house/cabin in West Burke, VT and they spend 3 months every summer up there. Beautiful place! Our entire family spent 7 days up there this past Christmas and my wife and I have been up one other time in the fall for the leaf change. I love it up that way!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Ah yes. The Northeast Kingdom. No finer spot on the map. Any map.
    Only the Blue Roads

Spalted wood has an appeal to me especially wood that is bland before it spalts. I have not used the epoxy/DNA method, but plan to in the future, thanks for reminding me and showing us this beauty. I always say the spalting is nature's way of painting.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

15. Excellent Curtis! Nice bowl and I appreciate the information - will give it a try one of these days.

Thanks for the picture!