Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would YOU roundover the ends of 3/4" dowels?

How would YOU roundover the ends of 3/4" dowels?

I need to round over one end of many 3/4" dowels which are about 5" long. I want these to be a pretty good roundover, like the end of a broom handle for instance.

What's the best (easiest, fastest) way of doing this. My kneejerk reaction is to get the belt sander (I don't have a table sander) but, I wonder, could I use a roundover bit in the router for this.

I mean, it would be a little difficult spinning the dowel properly but, I'm concerning about tear out.

Any suggestions. I have to do 14 of them.

I believe you'd have trouble with the router....working in end grain all the way around as you stated I think you'd have trouble with tear out. I'm sure all the spinny guys will tell you to put in in a lathe.
    David

Belt sander or Disc sander...don't even try cutting the ends unless you have a lathe...too dangerous.

You can set up some jigs to "grind" a few angles as you slowly approach the roundness you want.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've done it on a disk disk sander. You spin the dowel and change the angle at the same time to get the right round over. Don't stop the dowel or you'll get a flat spot.
    Dennis

What about tilting a table to 45* on your BS to knock off the corners, then belt sand it.

Sander. And you can often fasten a belt sander in a bench vice with a little creativity or care if you don't have a stationary tool. Just rotate the dowel with your hands as you vary the angle of attack.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What Jim and Chris said it will work great. Approach it slowly until you get the feel of the operation. I personally would never use a router to try this. You're just asking for trouble. HTH, Bill

This might be of interest:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/PegTip.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland
    This is the way to go if you have a bunch to do.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow, that wasn't exactly how I was going to use the router but, it sure does makes sense. I'm going to give this a try. Can always revert back to the good old belt sander. I'll let ya know and maybe give pix.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    This is the way to go if you have a bunch to do.
    I've done it the same way. It works pretty slick. Several light cuts work best.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I was going to suggest what is shown in Gary's link but there were enough posts that were anti-router, I thought I'd better not. I've done it that way. Raise the bit a little at a time until you get the round over you want.

I have done it with a router in a table just as shown in Gary's link. Router speed is critical. You want that baby screamin'. I intially tried to use the router at a slower speed, and got lots of chatter and tear-out even with light cuts. Running my router (PC890) wide open solved the problem.

Put them in the jaws of a collet chuck on a lathe and gently massage with a skew till rounded.

Just another reason for flatboarders to become TURNERS!

Bruce

I know this is a really old thread but I found it on a search on Google.

I wanted to round over some 3/8" dowels, I wanted them to be round, not close but round. Set up a 3/8" round over bit in the router table and make a block to hold the dowels, it worked out so nice, they are nice and round and smooth also.

I never felt there was any safety problems, the block holds the dowel and I just moved it in very slowly until it hit the bearing and then turned it.