Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Guides - Need Pics.

Rob Will Guest

Bandsaw Blade Guides - Need Pics.

I'm a WW newbie and I need some education about bandsaw blade guides. Would any of you care to snap a close up picture of your of your blade guides and post them here? Do you like the waythey work? Is one particular style of blade guide better for WIDE blades as opposed to a scrolling blade setup? Adjustment tips?

Generally speaking, if I purchase an OLD IRON saw like a Tannewitz or Oliver 36", can / should modern blade guides be installed?

Thanks for the advise!

Rob

Panhans APA guides are considered to be the best guides in my neck of the woods.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Here are the MM euro - guides........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rob,

For those big saws, Carter Products offers 2 series in several sizes each.

One series uses slippery alloy flat guides and a thrust bearing. This version is cheaper and better if you really need to get the guides as close as possible to the work.

The more popular series uses bearings for the guides and a grooved inline bearing on the back. This variety is best for heavy use and resawing. The bearing guides are in full contact with blade yet produce virtually no friction since they travel with the blade.

www.carterproducts.com

Rob, I have a Tannawitz bandsaw and I can't imagine a better guide system that what they have on their saws already. Unless you get one with bad or wore out guides I would'nt change them. Their may be better guides if your just going to use 1/8" or 3/16" blades but I run 1/4" blades on mine without any problems.

Rob Will Guest

Tannewitz Blade Guides

Does anyone have a photo of Tannewitz (36") blade guides?

Thanks for the info.....it is helping a lot
    Rob

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Panhans APA guides are considered to be the best guides in my neck of the woods.
    Christian, nice looking guides. One question: I see the backup bearing that appears to not be adjusted out to the blade. Behind that appears to be another small bearing running on the opposite side of the blade from our direction of view (?)

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will
    Does anyone have a photo of Tannewitz (36") blade guides?
    Here's the upper guide on my 36" GHE...
    Guide_U_S.JPG

Hope it helps...
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth
    Here's the upper guide on my 36" GHE...
    Rob,
    Let me know if you have any questions on the stock Tanny guide I posted above...
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth
    Rob,
    Let me know if you have any questions on the stock Tanny guide I posted above...
    Bill,

The guide looks solid. On a related topic, what is the difference between a Tannewitz GH and GHE?

Thanks,
    Rob

The guide looks solid.
    They are indeed solid. Not sure there'd be much benefit in trading them out for another.

On a related topic, what is the difference between a Tannewitz GH and GHE?
    The "H" in both stands for "hydraulic". The braking system uses a Wagner automotive brake master cylinder and drum brakes. The "E" stands for electric, surprisingly enough! On the GHE models an electric solenoid drives the master cylinder (replacing the brake pedal on the GH). The solenoid is actuated when the machine is turned off. It also has a tension system that automatically cuts power and actuates the braking system if your blade breaks. Very cool. Tannewitz still offers the GHE at about $18K per copy.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

I use Laguna's ceramic guides with good result on my LT18. Had a set of Euro guides which had given up the ghost. These are a dream to use.

Last edited by Jeff Geltz; 03-05-2006 at 8:58 PM.

I'm a WW newbie and I need some education about band saw blade guides. Would any of you care to snap a close up picture of your of your blade guides and post them here? Do you like the waythey work? Is one particular style of blade guide better for WIDE blades as opposed to a scrolling blade setup? Adjustment tips?

Generally speaking, if I purchase an OLD IRON saw like a Tannewitz or Oliver 36", can / should modern blade guides be installed?

Thanks for the advise!

Rob
    not sure what you mean by modern guides... roller guides have been around to over 50 years in the US. if you mean ceramic guides then I understand the word modern. from what I have been able to determine, the big saws still run some type of roller guide. my 36" BS uses paddock guides which I personally think are the best out there for a few reasons. first they are really very well made and massive with high grade sealed ball bearings, second they do appear to be some what hardened so they really wear well, third they are very easy to adjust and most importantly they really do a fantastic job of guiding the blade without making a racket. the coffee cup is for scale

I believe that I have a 3/4" blade on in this photo

Lou
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lou sansone; 03-05-2006 at 7:15 PM.

Rob Will Guest
    Lou, I suppose that I meant to say: "Should I update the guides or use the existing?". Thanks, Rob

Jeff

Jeff I have an LT 18 also. It has the euro style bearings that I constantly have to adjust the side bearings. What kind of price did you pay for your version. Do they adjust fairly easy between blade sizes? I mostly use the 1 1/4" resaw blades, but do like to use a 1/4" once in a while.
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.