Thread: Want to feel smart today ?

Want to feel smart today ?

Want to feel smart ? Read this !
    Had some 5/4 maple to resaw and had to put the Woodslicer on the 14 inch jet, no problem you say, wouldn't think so. Took the 1/4 blade off, put on the Woodslicer, guides looked kind've dirty so, spent 45 minutes taking all apart and cleaning, readjusting, getting everything just perfect. Put on the resaw fence, grab a piece of cedar ( it's cheap ) to check for any drift. 1/2 inch into the cut ( not cutting very good, but no drift yet ) the wood is smoking. Turn it off, check the guides, bearings, nothing. Then I am about to take the blade off and see it, can you guess ? Yep, the blade had flipped and the kerf was pointing up, not down, REALLY makes a big difference ! Took it off, fixed it, checked for drift ( none thank you ) Turned off the lights and came in and opened a beer. I can resaw another day
    Thought this might make every one else feel a bit smarter today
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    Want to feel smart ? Read this !
    Had some 5/4 maple to resaw and had to put the Woodslicer on the 14 inch jet, no problem you say, wouldn't think so. Took the 1/4 blade off, put on the Woodslicer, guides looked kind've dirty so, spent 45 minutes taking all apart and cleaning, readjusting, getting everything just perfect. Put on the resaw fence, grab a piece of cedar ( it's cheap ) to check for any drift. 1/2 inch into the cut ( not cutting very good, but no drift yet ) the wood is smoking. Turn it off, check the guides, bearings, nothing. Then I am about to take the blade off and see it, can you guess ? Yep, the blade had flipped and the kerf was pointing up, not down, REALLY makes a big difference ! Took it off, fixed it, checked for drift ( none thank you ) Turned off the lights and came in and opened a beer. I can resaw another day
    Thought this might make every one else feel a bit smarter today
    Did that the very first time I installed a blade on my new bandsaw...so you are going to have work harder than that to make ME feel smarter

Hah!!! Almost as bad as the time I almost installed the same shelf backwards. Ahhhhh, that would be three times!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

been there, done that...

Just last week I was working in a friend's shop - needed to resaw a piece of birch 5" wide by 15" long. At first I thought the blade was dull and it was just cutting slowly. I slowed the feed rate and half way through the wood was smoking. By the time I reached the end of board there was liquid bubbling from the wood near the cut line. It never crossed my mind that the blade could be installed incorrectly, but I felt so stooopid when I inspected the blade afterwards. We had a good laugh and called it a night...

Same result as when you put the chain on your chainsaw on backward huh?

Dont ask me how I know that

Ian

Let's not forget the time (or two or three) the drill bit was all setup and ready to go only to have the drill in reverse, wondering why it was taking so much effort to drill 1/8" into the material.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder
    Let's not forget the time (or two or three) the drill bit was all setup and ready to go only to have the drill in reverse, wondering why it was taking so much effort to drill 1/8" into the material.
    Done that a time or twelve myself.....screwing in drywall screws in reverse just isn't very efficient.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder
    Ever put a drill bit in backwards? I was working in my 13th hour at work, MAJOR OT. I was tired, pulled the bit out of my tool pouch and shoved it in the drill, put it up against the metal and had a good laugh. THAT is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.