Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I Crazy....Monster bandsaw

i agree with dev.. without the table it is not worth all that much.... wait for another one
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Jacuk
    Steven,
    You pose a good question as far as the electrical is concerned. I know a phase converter for a 5hp is around $500, but does it really need a 50 to 75 amp circuit to drive it? Is there an answer out there?
    5hp phase converter for $500, are you pricing a static phase converter? A few years back I was looking at purchasing some Felder equipment and so I would be running one and probably more than one 3 phase motor at the same time (i.e. DC and saw). The rotary phase converter to consider is from Kay Industries, I was looking at the MA-R from them. The Kay Industry converters are robust enough that you can size them to match you largest starting load (so a 7.5hp converter for a 7.5hp max starting motor), most others you need to derate 50%. I suggest you look at the technical documents on Kay's site for electrical load sizing requirements. They do state that "National Electric Code (NEC) requires single-phase cable and branch circuit to be rated for 250% of three-phase load current", so you can see where you could can get into the 50A and above circuits. Rule of thumb is 100 amps of single-phase service for every 20HP of connected 3-phase load at 230v. Running a modest Felder setup can get you there fairly quick, as can a modest DC (3-5hp) and a small wide belt sander.

Steven,
    I know little or nothing, let's just say nothing about three phase. So what is the advantage to three phase power ? Obviously most industrial machines seem to use it, and based upon the requirements you stated, it wouldn't seem feasible for most of us unless the power company can bring it (I guess that's what they'd do) directly to the shop.
    Give me some education.

Thanks
    Gary
    "Beat It To Fit, Paint It To Match Custom Remodelers" Exclusive distributor of Beckley's Quarter Inch Paint"

Dev,
    I knew I could count on you chiming in with some useful information. Thanks. It's tempting, but I'm afraid the bandsaw would end up sitting off to the side like my 1914 jointer, waiting for the free time and inspiration. Just out of curiosity is $2500 a decent price, assuming there's another 2 or 3 thousand needed to get it back in shape?

Thanks
    Gary
    Gary I just gave $900 for a very sought for 36" bandsaw.......just for your info.
    Reg

Reg,

I saw the pictures of that beauty of yours. Must admit that I drooled more than a little bit. It's interesting in looking over the auction sites that the majority of the machines seem to be back on the east coast, which makes sense since I think a majority of the furniture factories and the hardwood lumber for that matter were (are) back there. Out here on the "left coast" they're quite a bit more scarce. Ah, but we have Hollywood!!!!
    Reg, is your saw single phase or three phase? How decent a condition? On the web site it looked pretty darn good. Did say something about needing new tires, if I remember.
    Hope you ger 'er home safely and the you have nothing but fun with that new baby.

Gary
    "Beat It To Fit, Paint It To Match Custom Remodelers" Exclusive distributor of Beckley's Quarter Inch Paint"

Steven,
    I know little or nothing, let's just say nothing about three phase. So what is the advantage to three phase power ? Obviously most industrial machines seem to use it, and based upon the requirements you stated, it wouldn't seem feasible for most of us unless the power company can bring it (I guess that's what they'd do) directly to the shop.
    Give me some education.

Thanks
    Gary
    The 2 cent course:

Three phase power has starting torque. Single phase power theoretically does not - so just uses trickery to get started. So all larger motors - over about 5 hp - are three phase.

Static converters use trickery to run a 3 phase machine at about 70% power. (Yes, there are fancy static converters that create real 3 phase power and give 100% performance, but that isn't what most people get).

Rotary converters have a single phase motor that powers a 3 phase generator, and run very efficiently, but you need to get them started before any of the 3 phase machines, so in practice, they run continuously. Still they are cheaper than having the power company bring 3 phase more that about 6 inches farther than they already want to bring it.

Hi Gary
    There are a lot of things on the west end of town.....I got my tablesaw from seattle....I was going to get a shaper until I found out the shipping cost for 2500 lbs....OUCH...lots of big iron if your looking in the right places try davis and wells....ebay has lots on the west end...I found a place to redo the tires today and will be sending them out as soon as i get home.
    And if your want some east town things.....grab a tralior....load up that shaper I want come this way and we'll find you what you need

Steven,
    3 phase is unlikely to be available to your residence at any cost. If it is available you'll probably end up paying industrial rates so the only real alternative is to make 3 phase with a phase converter. The attraction of 3 phase is the equipment available that you often can't find a good alternative for in single phase; spray booths, old industrial woodworking machines, metal working machines, larger new woodworking machines, you know, the cool stuff. If you only have or want to power a single 3 phase machine and the machine is 3hp or less then you might consider using a VFD to convert the single phase to 3 phase and give you some interesting control possibilities - very cool for lathes and drill presses. Could also be cool on a bandsaw, like trying to make the odd cut in metal on a wood cutting bandsaw, but YMMV.

As for power, you can generally upgrade your service and in many cases it can be fairly inexpensive or you can have a second service installed. A fair number of hobbiests (woodworkers and metalworkers) have upgraded or secondary electrical services brought into their home. In my area I can upgrade my service to 400A. So I could actually have two 400A services run to my house - not that I would do that, but I could As usual all of this stuff depends on your location, you might want to ask your power company.

Not always true Steven....
    I live in a residental area and there is 3 PH power comming by my home. I pay $8 a month for the meter rent and the bill will be what ever I use in power. I had no Idea it was there and just happen to run into a olh H.S friend that happen to be an electricion and he told me about it after I ask if he could build me a converter. I called the power company and they said yes and wala....3 PH poweer for my shop...It doesn't hurt to as....all they can say is no

Go to OWWM.Com. I am sure you will find info there, or people willing to help.

Basil