Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: building cabinets

Blog Entries
    Particle board is the cheapest line for cabinet carcasses. melamine is double. plywood is double that. the good stuff is UV coated.

my builders want PB core. id rather use melamine. they wont pay the extra. customer is always right. i dont like ply carcasses. plywood rots and mildews just like everything else. seen it first hand. its nasty.

maintenance is the key word. whens the last time you looked under the sink other than for a fresh roll of TP or trash bags....jack

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    Somebody needs to school me I guess. All this time I thought Melamie (MDF) was cheap stuff.....wears through easily, swells when wet, what am I missing?
    Have a look here Steve,it may be different over there.

http://www.interion.co.nz/furniture_...=mel&tech=apps
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

I still don't understand how these bits will help you attach a face frame to the carcass. Or how it will make it easy to make face frames. I'm just missing 'it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shank
    I still don't understand how these bits will help you attach a face frame to the carcass. Or how it will make it easy to make face frames. I'm just missing 'it'.
    Sam. Its a tongue and groove system.

Melamine is a very hard brittle plastic resin. A thin sheet of paper soaked with melamine resin is used as the top coat of low density particle board that the Borg sells as shelving and sheet goods that some (I) use for cabinet carcass construction. Melamine paper is also used as a top layer of phenolic resin saturated paper that is used to make kitchen counter tops.
    Scott

Melamine or similar is quite popular in Europe.

Question of taste, I guess.

That means they are way ahead of --or way behind us in definition of good taste.

We mostly prefer wood in North America.

This product is not for me either.

Bill

You will note that the crowd that make the melamine also use mdf with a wood veneer,any wood you care to mention,clash(edgeband) this with solid wood and you have a very stable material for cabinets and you dont use a small forest to get a good result.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

Here in the states, there is not enough wood waste to make PB, MDF, chipboard.
    So whether you use solid wood, veener ply, or a man made product, the trees still get chopped down.
    Yes. They take down whole trees and chip them up for PB, MDF. Of course, its lower grade trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fields
    This product is not for me either.
    Me either....except for the disposable outfeed table mentioned earlier. To each their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    All it is is particle board covered with plastic. Dusty, heavy, absorbs water and swells. I just don't use it.
    Man Steve, I might have to conclude that you hate SPIT-BOARD. Take your table saw dust and add a bit of binder and some horse tinkle to bind it together and you have MDF. And before the powers that be get mad and delete this entry, please go back and review your chemistry books from college. This means you Ken. I am not being flippent here. So not only does this stuff create a dust storm but the dust has some extra additives that are above and beyond anything you will find in a health food store if you catch my drift!!!!!

For X-Nay on the SPIT BOARD. I dont touch the junk. If I did, then the manufacturer can pay for my health insurance and life insurance as I prematurely croak from lung cancer or blood cancer. Compared to this stuff, wood dust is benine!!!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Man Steve, I might have to conclude that you hate SPIT-BOARD. Take your table saw dust and add a bit of binder and some horse tinkle to bind it together and you have MDF. And before the powers that be get mad and delete this entry, please go back and review your chemistry books from college. This means you Ken. I am not being flippent here. So not only does this stuff create a dust storm but the dust has some extra additives that are above and beyond anything you will find in a health food store if you catch my drift!!!!!

For X-Nay on the SPIT BOARD. I dont touch the junk. If I did, then the manufacturer can pay for my health insurance and life insurance as I prematurely croak from lung cancer or blood cancer. Compared to this stuff, wood dust is benine!!!

Dev!!!! We found something we agree on

But, tell me who Ken is
    Steve