Thread: My Miter Sled....

My Miter Sled....

I built a mite sled back in the fall to go along with my cross cut sled. The miter sled is almost identical to the one Jim Becker is using in his Candle Holder Table thread.

After I built this I used it on several occasions, it made perfect mating miters. It hasn't been used since November. Yesterday I went to use it and was suprised to find that it will almost not go thru the slots without pushing it hard. Definitley can't use it to cut wood with it safely and probably isn't accurate that way either. Anything I can do to straighten this out or is it doomed for the scrap bin?

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey,

I was watching Kelly Mehler's video "Mastering Your Table Saw" a while back and he slid his down the slots and would look at the runners to see where it was rubbing. Then he took a very sharp chisel and just scraped small amounts off of each of the suspect areas untill he got it to sliding like he wanted it to. Do not know if I could do it or not but worked for him. I am assuming that the runners are the problem. I am also assuming that it is constructed out of wood. Could not find the thread that you are talking about.

If that doesn't work he said that the only option is to make new runners and install them. If you just screwed them on would not be a real big job but if you glued them could require a little bit of work.

Good luck!!!! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-07-2006 at 1:21 AM.

Agree with Allen's remark about Kelly Mehler sled solution

Corey,

I too built a sled to Kelly's specs. In fact I built two. The first just wasn't big enough so my son, who does a lot of wwing with me, and I built another much deeper and wider. Used wood runners and haven't had much problems. Kelly also points out in his video that a coat of wax makes the sled move across the table top like giving it power drive. That also helps. The obvious wood movement also points out the advantage of using the phenolic's like the Incra sleds, it probably won't warp on you. But they sure cost a pretty penny. But then there's always Fathers Day, Birthday, Xmas, First Monday of the Month, (any excuse to buy a new tool).

Don M

Assuming the runners are wood, what about replacing them with those nifty ones that Incra has? You'd never have to worry about them contracting again in the summer after you've trimed them down.

- John

Corey, I've trimmed my runners with a shoulder plane. It takes a very fine cut and works fine for adjusting runners. I use a Clifton 410 (the small one) but I think any shoulder plane would work. Look for the rub spots on the runners and take a shaving off where they rub.

I use UHMU strips for all my sled runners. Perry

Ditto what Perry said. The UMHW material is impervious to temperature and humidity changes and is self lubricating in the slot.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Corey,
    You could mark the edges of the runner with a Sharpie and slide back and forth several times and see where the ink is rubbed off or lighter. Now you can attack the offending surface.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I use the Incra runners. They are also adjustable to make them fit your miter slot perfectly.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

Use one runner, Corey

Corey, I posted some comments on one vs two runners not long ago. You might want to look at that posting under my name.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will see if I can locate the hang up with Byrons method and then attack that are. My cross cut sled has wood runners and it has been perfect and I use it several times a week. Will let you know if I am able to fix it.
    Thanks,
    Corey