Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    Hey Lou,
    Glad you like it. Too I am glad you stopped by because I have a question for you about the wheels. Do you know it the wheels are vulcanized and where would I have to send them to have new tires put on them....
    like I said, I don't have any knowledge about the Yates saws other than they are very attractive and really heavy. If it has carter wheels your all set ( other than forking out 600 bucks for 2 tires ). if they are glued on or vulcanized in place I think you are going to have to make sure about this if it might mean some serious $$ for them to be done. If the rubber is still intact, but somewhat chewed up you can build a little grinding jig and spin the wheel in place and retrue the wheel. keep in mind that these big wheels are balanced and must be to avoid vibration.

best wishes

lou

2. That is "Heavy Duty" darn it. It must weigh 2000 pounds easy. You can't beat those old machines. That's a nice find...

Quote Originally Posted by George Kretschmann
    That is "Heavy Duty" darn it. It must weigh 2000 pounds easy. You can't beat those old machines. That's a nice find...
    try 4000

heavy

lou

thanks Lou...I am sure I will be finding out too soon lol......I might be able to find out about it from Bill Kerfoot about them and where I might have to have it done.
    Thanks George and Rob. If it runs as good as it looks I should be able to turn it on throw the wood at it and catch a nice set of cabnets on the other side.......

I am thinking we should all sing in obnoxious out of tune unison several bars of Let it Snow by that Irving dude. What an excellent bandsaw.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

You'd better be packing a semi when you go to pick that puppy up.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Reg,
    That is one beautiful baby! Great price! I am really jealous! Use it well!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Those Infernal Flying Machines

You guys never cease to amaze me with your HUGE IRON! My mouth always waters when I see old David Marks on TV with his 16" jointer. Some of those Aircraft Carriers that Lou Sansone has in his shop plus pics of these "Snowflakes" sure are making me jealous.

But seriously, what do you do with a 36" bandsaw? I've never used one bigger than 20" and it was very nice, but these guys are monsters.

The prices seem to be pretty amazing too, but I don't have 3-phase power even if I could find one of these beasts.

Do you guys all run phase converters and if so, what do those fella's cost?

Thanks for the info - still learning, ya' know!
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Hello Brad
    For me i will be useing it to resaw, cut sheet stock some curves building a jig for cutting some logs for beds.
    Most run 3 PH converters yes and they are priced for the amount of power you will be useing in motors. If you have a 3 hp motor you can start a 3 hp motor and run a combo of three hp but you can't start aany 2 machines totleing higher that the hp on your converter.
    I am lucky though I can get 3 PH power right off of the pole and I am sooooooooooo lucky.
    Prices.....whew....from my understanding I really stold this saw. I am looking at a cpl shapers that are pretty pricie like an oliver 287t or a fay egan 552 lightning. the lightning isn't that bad but the only one i have found is in L.A and the shipping it ....WOW to here.
    This is a dream I have had since I went to collage and it seems to be developing for me as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Kimbrell
    You guys never cease to amaze me with your HUGE IRON! My mouth always waters when I see old David Marks on TV with his 16" jointer. Some of those Aircraft Carriers that Lou Sansone has in his shop plus pics of these "Snowflakes" sure are making me jealous.

But seriously, what do you do with a 36" band saw? I've never used one bigger than 20" and it was very nice, but these guys are monsters.

The prices seem to be pretty amazing too, but I don't have 3-phase power even if I could find one of these beasts.

Do you guys all run phase converters and if so, what do those fella's cost?

Thanks for the info - still learning, ya' know!

I also have a 3 phase shop... you use a 36" saw just like you would use a 20" saw. you just smile a little more when you are doing it .. actually - in the case of BS and some other tools - the ascetics of them really attract me to them. cast iron was a artistic medium for the pattern maker and many took advantage of that ... the snow flake for example - the moak 36 is also the 2nd best looking saw. the northfields are the worse looking CI band saw - the tannewitz is also wonderfully with the double round doors .

but I will say that time and technology has eclipsed some machines and one of them is the sliding table saw. the more I see of the modern slider the more I believe all the obnoxious statements by Mr cresti ( no offense ) about them. But for most other machines equipment built from the 40's to the 80's was really very well made. you can go on owwm.com and see lots of old iron and as dev has said... some was real good and some should have been brought right to the dump

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    can't believe you got a snowflake for that price.... wow. they are basically the heavest duty saw ever made. even heaver than my moak and better looking to boot. I don't know much about the wheels they used. this will be one of the challanges. it looks like the motor is a 900 rpm motor and you may want to find a way to slow it down, but you will have lots of time to figure that out. great score

lou
    Why would I want to slow it down

Just there!

I was just looking at that same saw this aft! Beauty, can't wait to see the pics of it in your shop!

d
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Hi Rob. Well it wasn't intended as a glot really, It is really to show there are more machines out there that are American made that are better than the "grizGreen" machines that ppl buy for a good price too.

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    can't believe you got a snowflake for that price.... wow. they are basically the heavest duty saw ever made.
    looks like you could cut a car in half with that thing. It probably weighs as much as a car too.