Thread: Anyone use "The Hot One" Heater by Cadet?

Anyone use "The Hot One" Heater by Cadet?

Looking into a heater for the shop. Shop size 720sqft.

Last time I used a forced air kerosene that would cook me out in about 30 minutes. needless to say, a bit overkill and always ran out of kerosene at the worst times!

Saw this Cadet "The Hot One" at Home Depot for $265 and it got me to thinking. No more kerosene, no more fumes, no more burned pant legs..hmmmmm. That, and I'm just a teensy bit fire shy right now.

This heater runs on 240v 16.7amps at 4000watts and throws around 13,000btu on high.

Would love to hear from someone who has one or has been around one. Hate to end up with just a glorified hair dryer!!

Thanks!

Forrest,

You should get allot of responses because the "heat" subject has come up a couple of times. I've had a 240V 30 amp 5000 watt unit for a couple of years that's rated at I think 17,500 BTU.

I picked it up at a Farm & Fleet store for $200. I'd have to go out to the garage to check the brand, but I've been using it in a 22 X 28 pretty much uninsulated space and it does a good job once I get the space up over 50. I use a 100,000 BTU keosene torpedo to get it up around 50.

Get's cold in Wisconsin .... Tom

I have had one for the last three winters in Western Oregon, where the
    "average" low evening winter outside temperatures are in the upper 30's/low 40's. The space it heats is 24 x 24 or 576 SF/concrete floor/walls insulated to R19/ceiling insulated to +/- R26. Ridge beam is about 15' high, walls about 10'. The slab is not insulated. No windows.

Cadet is a well respected Northwest firm and has a generally good reputation for its products. The did have a well publicized recall about 10 years ago of some of their in-wall units. As I recall, they did right with correcting the problems. I have spoken with several local electricians who recommend the Cadet brand for in-wall units.

I generally leave the shop space unheated except for when I am actually in there, which is often both all day Sat and Sun. By running the Cadet heater full out, I can raise the temp from 40 to 60 degrees in my shop in an hour or so. I then turn it down and let it cycle on as it needs to now and then to maintain the temp. It is efficient and reasonably quiet. You can put it where you want it, provided you have the appropriate outlet.

For what it may be worth, I am quite satisfied with the unit, considering my needs, my space and what it does for the price. And in the Northwest, electricity is still relatively cheap compared to other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bell
    I have had one for the last three winters in Western Oregon, where the
    "average" low evening winter outside temperatures are in the upper 30's/low 40's. The space it heats is 24 x 24 or 576 SF/concrete floor/walls insulated to R19/ceiling insulated to +/- R26. Ridge beam is about 15' high, walls about 10'. The slab is not insulated. No windows.

Cadet is a well respected Northwest firm and has a generally good reputation for its products. The did have a well publicized recall about 10 years ago of some of their in-wall units. As I recall, they did right with correcting the problems. I have spoken with several local electricians who recommend the Cadet brand for in-wall units.

I generally leave the shop space unheated except for when I am actually in there, which is often both all day Sat and Sun. By running the Cadet heater full out, I can raise the temp from 40 to 60 degrees in my shop in an hour or so. I then turn it down and let it cycle on as it needs to now and then to maintain the temp. It is efficient and reasonably quiet. You can put it where you want it, provided you have the appropriate outlet.

For what it may be worth, I am quite satisfied with the unit, considering my needs, my space and what it does for the price. And in the Northwest, electricity is still relatively cheap compared to other options.
    Sounds like this might work for me as well. Although I don't have near the insulation that you do Roger.

Does the fan part blow pretty well? I'm thinking one of these and maybe a ceiling fan to keep the hot air circulating might just do the trick.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it seems to....in my space. If you buy it you might consider getting it from HD...which has a liberal return policy. It might not be "enough" for your space....although two of them might be.