Thread: combination blade for melamine

combination blade for melamine

My wife wants me to build her a "scrapbooking center" using melamine (I know, I tried to convince her to use real wood instead) and I do not have a melamine blade for my TS. Has anyone used a freud 50t thin kerf combo blade on the stuff and had good results. Amazon has a decent melamine blade for about $45 but I would rather not spend it if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance

chris, rough cut with any blade and clean up the cut with a straight bit in a router using a straight edge for a guide..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

One of the keys to using any blade for excellent results on melamine is to make two cuts. The first is made to score the underside to a depth of about 1/8" and the second is to cut through the piece. This is why you see higher end saws with scoring blades in front of the main blade. Your combo blade should make acceptable cuts if you will make the cuts this way. A melamine blade would be better but give this method a try and see how it works. Good luck!

I use the Amana melamine blade and get very clean cuts in one pass. I paid about $80 for the blade at my local sharpening shop owned by Scott Whiting.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ