Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this count as a gloat?

Does this count as a gloat?

Not sure if this counts as a gloat, but it made me feel pretty good. Visited my friend who has his own mill. Eneded up coming home with 1500 brd ft of cherry. 100 br ft of curly maple, 200 brd feet of hard maple, 100 brd ft of red elm, 300 brd ft of grey elm. Got it all for $131. Now I just got to make room for it!!

Saw a robin today as well, spring is here!!!

Michael

Hmmmm, let me see.... it smells like a gloat, it looks like a gloat, by golly, I think that would be a gloat.

Congrats... $131 for all that wood (I'm shaking my head) say it isn't so... I will trade you some tumbleweeds hehehehe

(Beginning to think that I need to move to snow country.... nah)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Disorbo
    Not sure if this counts as a gloat, but it made me feel pretty good. Visited my friend who has his own mill. Eneded up coming home with 1500 brd ft of cherry. 100 br ft of curly maple, 200 brd feet of hard maple, 100 brd ft of red elm, 300 brd ft of grey elm. Got it all for $131. Now I just got to make room for it!!

Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Nope. No way. No Pic, No gloat. Nice haul, just a little green with envy. Sounds like a perfectly legitimate gloat to me.

No pictures = NO GLOAT
    David

Michael

Did you use a gun and a mask? I'd say it was a gloat but there is no picture.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Send that stuff up here, I'll take a pic, and then return the camera to you.
    Only the Blue Roads

Michael
    If you had some pictures, it would be a GREAT GLOAT> But, since I see no pictures, it is not a gloat.

No pictures, but I will send some of the things I make with it. I have it in my old greenhouse and trust me with everything that is in there, it would be hard to get a picture. I have an bit of an edge. We have a few log brokers in town. My friend has a reputation for sawing some really nice lumber. After it is all cut up, lumber buyers go through and take the best. I get whats left over and only pay for the sawing. These guys will not buy a 12 foot board if it has one knot in it. You should see some of this cherry. Some of the boards are only 6 feet long, but I handled a few today that had to be over 18" in width.

So it all may not be top knotch perfect lumber but hey for the price, I can even heat my shop rather cheap

OK, no gloat

Michael

I noticed you don't have an avatar, but I did a little research and found a picture of you, Michael:

burglar.jpg

It's a good thing you live on the other side of the country...I'd otherwise be tempted to find your greenhouse and do a little theiving myself.

Most excellent haul indeed. Ya done better than good.

- Vaughn

WOW, sure would like to hit a score like that up here in Rochester! Does your friend have any more he would like to get rid of
    Jason Morgan

Super score!!

Trolling

Sounds to good to be true, are you trolling? No one gives wood away like that, just what did you have to do to get it. If you are on the up and up, then it is a gloat.

Seems like around $10,000 worth of wood; awesome score. But I gotta ask--where did the $131 come from? Not $130, but 131.

The $131 was the cost per board ft to saw. Actually, he made his money already on the lumber, I am just paying a bit for what was not sold to the big buyers. I usually get all my lumber this way, sometimes I buy the logs if I can get them cheap enough. If he did not sell the leftovers, they would just get in his way. He cuts a lot of hemlock, many folks around here build barns and other buildings with that lumber. I mean alot. This winter, he cut over 80,000 br ft for one person. Another favorite is white oak for hay wagons and lofts. One guy brought him hickory to saw for roofing boards. My friend who owns the mill is 80 this year. He can put most men to shame when working. Sadly, his time is drawing near and I am afraid that my big scores will be over soon. I just can't see him doing this when he is 90!

I guess if I wanted the money, I could resell a lot of this lumber, but it is worth more to me to use. If stored properly it will last my lifetime and then some. My father-in-law who grew up in a saw mill (his father's) still has a lot of chesnut which his father cut and it has been kept inside for close to a 75 years. It is still very nice lumber.

One thing nice about this area, you can drive most any back road and find a mill. Cherry, oak, black walnut, ash, white pine and hickory are very abundant. Most of the hardwoods run about a $1 a br ft at most mills while white pine and hemlock can go as low as 30 cents a ft.

I guess we are lucky!!

Gloat? Naa...pure gluttony!! Nice haul. And all that for a little over $130? Sheesh!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...