Thread: Delta Contractor Style Tablesaw Fence Upgrade

Delta Contractor Style Tablesaw Fence Upgrade

I have a Delta 34-444 table saw that I am interested in upgrading the fence. The existing fence is the original with the large pipes (tubes) on the front and back. While it has been adequate, I find that accuracy of cut is hindered. I did some checking with a Micrometer and find the parallel distance from the miter track varies as I go from front to back (adjustable) and as I slide the fence left to right (somewhat adjustable with shims). However, I have found that the front tube is bowed and causing the fence to vary depending on where it is on the table.

So I was wondering what are my options for replacement fences. Keep in mind, I am not interested in purchasing a $350 fence for a $300 dollar saw. Although the blade has only .002" parallel variance from front to back. I would be satisfied with a used, but in good condition, fence that someone has upgraded. The fence needs to be 30" - 33" length.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    The truth is always visible but often not seen.
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

Well that saw was offered with the Unifence originally, so it would be an easy upgrade to install. I've had that saw and Unifence combo and find it hard to beat. Really excellent. I never measure manually. Just set the crosshair and rip away. The short ˝ high fence option is unbeatable for ripping narrow pieces safely. Rock solid, easy to adjust, accurate. I have no complaints.

Now price. Amazon has it currently for about $265 with free shipping. There is a deal on for another day or two that takes an additional 10% off. I doubt you'd get a quality fence for less unless you find one used.

A quality fence is a must for easy, safe and accurate work. If the saw's castings and motor are in good order, the fence upgrade is still a value.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collins
    I am not interested in purchasing a $350 fence for a $300 dollar saw.
    If spending that kind of money is the issue then I can understand, but if you are concerned about the possibility of having a fence that costs more than the saw then that is something all together different. What Mike said below holds true in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo
    A quality fence is a must for easy, safe and accurate work. If the saw's castings and motor are in good order, the fence upgrade is still a value.
    Agree completely w/ that statement. I was given a Crapsman Contractors style TS and I have upgraded it with an Incra TS-III system. The Incra probably cost more than the saw did. I was originally thinking about upgrading the saw, but now that I have the Incra I find that it changed the dynamics of what I was able to do with the saw in terms or precision and repeatability and I am much happier with the overall capability and performance of the saw itself.

The other thing to consider is that you can take the new fence system and install it on a new saw when you decide to upgrade so it won't be a total loss.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I put a Bies on my old Cman. It was clearly the the most expensive and best thing about the saw but it still didn't do what I wanted or needed.

When I finally replaced it and put the Cman up for sale. The only thing people wanted was the fence.

Old addage "can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

Sounds like it worked for some .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    I put a Bies on my old Cman. It was clearly the the most expensive and best thing about the saw but it still didn't do what I wanted or needed.

When I finally replaced it and put the Cman up for sale. The only thing people wanted was the fence.

Old addage "can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

Sounds like it worked for some .
    I also looked at the Bies for my craftsman before settling on the Incra. I'd be interested to know what the fence didn't do that you wanted it to do.

If you have any interest, I still have the Craftsman Align-A Rip fence with approx 48" rails. It's a split rail design and it could probably be shortened to meet your needs if you want to mess with it. It works fine.

Amazon is offering 10% and free s/h on the Biesemeyer and Vega fence through 3/9. ( ~ $208 - $260 total depending on model). Grizzly has the Shop Fox Alumarip Classic for around $230 delivered. Anyone of those should be great and are reasonably price....relatively anyway!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-09-2006 at 5:01 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I put a Biesemeyer "home" version fence on my delta CS and am VERY happy with the fence, highly recommended.

Vega

Dennis,

I just ordered the Vega U26 for my Craftsman saw. I haven't received it yet, but it's gotten a lot of good reviews. I'll let you know if it lives up to the hype.

I only wish I could have gotten my Align-A-Rip fence to a consistent .002 run-out.

Keith

I have a Biesemeyer Pro on my Delta Contractor Saw. I have had it for five years or so. It was money well spent.

Howard

I've Got The Mule AccuSquare On My Delta CS

I think it's a great fence regardless of the price.
    USD pricing is more favourable than $C pricing for some reason - even though the mfr is a 10-minute drive from my office.
    Just another thought thrown on the pile....
    HTH
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg