Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview: Dale Thompson

There is MUCH more!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Well. I'm gonna have to save this one and re read it when I have an extra week or so to do it:
    Hi Gorgeous,
    When Mark first approached me for this interview, I told him that I had lived for a LONG time and that the interview might be quite long! He told me that he would edit the text as necessary. Little did I know that he would take out 99.7% of my submission!

For example, he "scratched" the fact that I was instrumental in building the Great Pyramids of Egypt. Originally, I designed the points of the pyramids to point downward but the "winds of time" tipped them over and have turned them into the rather unimpressive structures that we see today.

Also a victim of the "Editor's Pen" was the contribution that my PM66 and I made to Noah when he was working to outpace the incoming storm. I designed and worked on his SECOND Ark. Wisely, in the final seconds, I snuck aboard the FIRST Ark disguised as a grass snake in the belly of a skunk!

Among many thousands of other things, Mark also left out the fact that I am solely responsible for designing the "lean" in the "Leaning Tower of Pizza (or is it Pisa?)!

Since I turn to Jello at the sight of a "pretty face", I am sending you a complete transcript of my interview on the next outbound C-130 from the Peshtigo International Airport!

Dale T.
    Last edited by Dale Thompson; 03-11-2006 at 11:09 AM.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

So Dale, how long where you a Escanaba Eskymo, and what did you do (or where did you work)while living there?

Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Sometimes you feel like a nut - sometimes you don't.

Then there's Dale. Who not only feels, sounds, smells, acts, and looks like a nut - but is also a charter member and past president of Nutcases International.

A true nutty buddy.
    Andy,
    I may be wrong but I think that I liked your OTHER face better! At least you gave us a choice back then!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    So Dale, how long where you a Escanaba Eskymo, and what did you do (or where did you work)while living there?
    Hi Steve,
    I was a dedicated Eskymo from the 4th grade through the 7th grade (that took 17 years). Anyway, I spent a lot of time in "Northtown" with the rest of the juvenile delinquents.

I took away a real treasure from my time in Escanaba. As kids, we used to ride our bikes up to Gladstone which was 6 or 7 miles away. We always got a thrill from riding down "Gladstone Hill" at speeds exceeding 50 MPH! Anyway, one day in 1953, we stopped at an OLD Drugstore in Gladstone. At the time we were all collecting baseball cards. The elderly gentleman who owned the store didn't have any 1953 cards but he had a BUNCH of 1952 Topps cards. Of course, none of us wanted OLD cards but I had room in my saddlebags and reluctantly bought the cards for $1/BOX! I don't have the '52 Mantle (I've got the '53) but I would bet that that "investment" was the best one that I will EVER make.

Dale T.

I loved reading your interview Dale. Laughed right out loud a few times. What a crazy guy! But after reading it I couldn't help but wonder what would make a guy so crazy. Is it something in the sawdust, the long winters in Northern Wisconsin, radiation from the aurora bourealis, or maybe just hanging out with this bunch at SMC?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    I loved reading your interview Dale. Laughed right out loud a few times. What a crazy guy! But after reading it I couldn't help but wonder what would make a guy so crazy. Is it something in the sawdust, the long winters in Northern Wisconsin, radiation from the aurora bourealis, or maybe just hanging out with this bunch at SMC?
    My vote is "all of the above".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

What's a "bear" and what do they play? Me, I'm from a place here in California where we have 49 guys that get together and play. Hmm, maybe they can play together some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    My vote is "all of the above".
    Lee and Curt,
    Curt, you got the answers right and I think that Lee hit it on the head (no pun intended).

One thing, though, you can't overlook the SMC impact. A "Creek" is SUPPOSED to be a small, docile, gently flowing stream of water. I wonder how many of them are "blessed" ("polluted" was my first word choice but I am far to wonderful of a human being to say that ) with thongs, two faces, phoney wax mustaches, "Purty" Clardys, "Purty" Clardy wannabes with their hideous masks and many, many others who can't be identified both for their own safety and that of the civilized universe!

Dale T.

I hear ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    What's a "bear" and what do they play? Me, I'm from a place here in California where we have 49 guys that get together and play. Hmm, maybe they can play together some time!
    Pat,
    Except for the thongs, I think that the word is spelled "bare". I don't know what game he plays but I'm sure that it is NOT a mass participation sport. It may be "regionally" telecast on "ESPN 17 Million". Anyway, his home "field" is somewhere in the Minneapolis area.

CONDOLENCES TO BOTH OF US!! The "Niners" are my 2nd team but I used up all of my crying towels on my 1st Team - and I use THAT term loosely!

The planets were misaligned this year, Pat! We'll be back with a VENGENCE next - next - next - WELL, WHENEVER!?

Dale T.

To ALL of You GREAT folks who PROUDLY call Yourselves "Creekers"!

Hi Folks,
    I don't know what this "Sticky" thing is all about but, before my Velcro gets too soggy to hold my silliness, I would like to throw in a few comments.

I have enjoyed every response that you folks have been generous enough to share. I wish that I could respond to each and every one of them.

Some that come to mind:
    - The "Stage" - The First one OUT of Town!
    - My TOTAL lack of a "sense of humor".
    - The guy from "Burnville".
    - Comedy Central.
    - Dennis Miller
    - Breath of Fresh Air.
    - "Creekers" I'd like to meet.
    - "Miserable day at work until --".
    - Where do the Bears play?

I LOVED every single one of them!!

I wish that I was a philosopher like Tyler. He can say in three words what it takes me three pages to say.

However, since I am VERY old and don't share his talent of brevity, I would like to throw in a small thought for some of you "kids" out there:

I assume that we are ALL born with a certain "quota" for mistakes and blunders. For those of you who are "perfect", you can thank ME! Over the years, I have not only used up my own quota many times but I have also assumed the "pleasure" of yours.

Many years ago, I discovered that I MUST be the FIRST person to laugh at my many displays of stupidity and ignorance! Sometimes it was very difficult. On the other hand, when other folks joined me in the laughter, I convinced myself that they were laughing WITH me - not AT me! There is a BIG difference!!

That's about it, my friends. May the GOD of your choice, or non-choice, smile upon you, your family, your life and ALL of your projects.

Whenever you REALLY mess up something in your shop, SMILE and remember that there are folks like me out there whose MAJOR project is emptying his scrap box!

Dale T.

Dale, thanks for the interview, and thanks for your contributions to the Creek. I was gonna come up with something funny to say, but I know when to stand back in the presence of a master. Thanks again.

- Vaughn

Great interview Dale,

Makes me happy I live on the Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Makes me happy I live on the Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan. John
    John,
    Don't get TOO comfortable. One of my more "advanced" projects involves (no body will EVER believe THIS!) the use of White Birch Bark to make a seaworthy transport vessel.

Sleep lightly, John!

Dale T.

Dale your one funny Man! Great Interview!
    We are almost in the same Field of work, I'm a Sprinkler Man.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Thanks for sharing, Dale. I finally got a chance to read your interview.

Very entertaining.

Bruce