Thread: Exactly how straight should a BS blade weld be?

Exactly how straight should a BS blade weld be?

I'm having a bit of difficulty with a 3/4" 3 tpi PS Wood Timberwolf blade. The one that I have has a crooked weld. If I lay the blade on a flat surface with the teeth up, the weld hits the surface before the back of the blade on either side of the weld. Pressing down on either side of the weld pivots the other side up. I can measure about 1/16" rise 8-10" from the weld. The blade seems to skip off of the rear guide rollers about this much, so I do see an issue.

Is this within some sort of allowable tolerance, or did I just buy an out and out defective blade? My inclination is to believe that it should be absolutely straight. Can someone out there please try this with a 3/4" PS Wood TW blade (Woodcraft), and let me know if your's is also like this?

I bought it at the same time that I bought my new BS. The BS ran fine with the stock 5/8" blade and also with a 1/4" PS Wood blade that I bought at the same time as the 3/4". I thought the skipping blade was a BS problem that showed up due to the increased tension so I didn't take it back. Too late now, I've used it a good bit. I just discovered the crooked weld Tuesday.

Thank you,
    Michael

can't you just knock the weld down with a file? I would not think it would cause any problems..as compared to the weld being twisted side-side.

There isn't anything to grind off... It's more like a shallow V than a lump.

Michael

I would call them and send it back....You should not hear it passing the guides and it should not flutter in a visable way....this would widen the kerf and that is not good...although a 3tpi blade is rough
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I would call them and send it back....You should not hear it passing the guides and it should not flutter in a visable way....this would widen the kerf and that is not good...although a 3tpi blade is rough
    I agree with mark on this.. I like the timberwolf blades, but I also have had some issues like this. it tends to cause a racket on the saw
    lou

Should be flat. I would send it back.

Had the same problem with one of their blades (1" resaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Adelong
    I'm having a bit of difficulty with a 3/4" 3 tpi PS Wood Timberwolf blade. The one that I have has a crooked weld. If I lay the blade on a flat surface with the teeth up, the weld hits the surface before the back of the blade on either side of the weld. Pressing down on either side of the weld pivots the other side up. I can measure about 1/16" rise 8-10" from the weld. The blade seems to skip off of the rear guide rollers about this much, so I do see an issue.

Is this within some sort of allowable tolerance, or did I just buy an out and out defective blade? My inclination is to believe that it should be absolutely straight. Can someone out there please try this with a 3/4" PS Wood TW blade (Woodcraft), and let me know if your's is also like this?

I bought it at the same time that I bought my new BS. The BS ran fine with the stock 5/8" blade and also with a 1/4" PS Wood blade that I bought at the same time as the 3/4". I thought the skipping blade was a BS problem that showed up due to the increased tension so I didn't take it back. Too late now, I've used it a good bit. I just discovered the crooked weld Tuesday.

Thank you,
    Michael
    I called them up, they sent me a return UPS sticker and a new blade with a good weld. They even sent me an inspection report on the blade with a bad weld. That was the only time I ever had that problem with them.

PS: Dont try e-mailing them, they never answer. But a phone call works wonders. Great company, great blades and service.
    Ron

Been There

Michael, I had a problem with the same blade on my Griz 14". Sent the blade back and ordered another 3/4-3TPI and had the same problem. Of course as a result the blade wobbles and knocks against the thrust bearing. I decided from researching blades for resaw, which is why I ordered a 3/4 that a 1/2 will do the job just as well on my 14". Timberline must have put several bad 3/4s. Probably welded on a Mon morning by someone who had a rough weekend. I also found that a 3/4 on my saw is a bit much for proper tensioning. Hope this helps. Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hollingsworth; 03-10-2006 at 1:20 PM.