Thread: Gly4 vs. Roundup

Gly4 vs. Roundup

Anyone out there ever use a product called Gly4 as an alternative to Roundup? A buddy of mine recommended it to kill the grass and weeds in my yard. I'm going to completely redo the yard in a few weeks but need to kill everything first. He said it does the same job, but for about half the cost. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Keel McDonald ><>

Never heard of Gly4 but Ortho made a product called Triox that makes Roundup seem like cool-aid. They have changed the name (don't recall what they call it now) but it is sold in 1 gal. green containers and in the upper left of the lable it says "formally known as Triox".
    This is a total veg killer that lasts up to a year.
    Good stuff but don't get it on anything that tou don't want to kill.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Don't know about "Gly4" but I'm guessing it is another glyphosate based product. Just check the active ingredients. If it is - then it is just a generic clone of Roundup and will work just as well. Monsanto made a lot of money off of Roundup, but then it's patent on glyphosate ran out so now you can buy generics.

With that stuff -give a 3 nice warm days after spraying before cutting stuff up or rotatilling. After that it has done it's work and is down into the roots. Even if the vegetation isn't brown it will be.

Gly4 vs. Roundup

A local radio/TV master gardener here suggests that instead you use white vinegar. You can buy it by the gallon at Costo, or even at the grocer it's a lot cheaper. According to him (and he's showed it on TV)
    you spray on a warm sunny day and it's just as effective as Roundup,
    in fact you still have to be careful not to get overspray on desireable plants. The only fault is that if it's not sunny and warm it will just go to waste, it won't just take longer like Roundup. I use it on the weeds
    in the ditch along the side of the house.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I was going to post what Dan said, I too had heard about the patent on roundup was expiring, or had expired.

Try concentrated vinegar (high-strength, not from the supermarket) instead of these chemicals. Roundup not only kills vegetation, it also "gets" many types of animals, such as frogs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the info. I think the active ingredient is glyphosate. Haven't heard about the vinegar, but may give that a try. Hey Jim, where can you get concentrated vinegar?
    Keel McDonald ><>

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald
    Thanks for the info. I think the active ingredient is glyphosate. Haven't heard about the vinegar, but may give that a try. Hey Jim, where can you get concentrated vinegar?
    Try asking Mike McGrath of You Bet Your Garden...may already be on the site. I don't recall where Dr. SWMBO bought it. The only chemical we use on the property is for poison ivy and it gets applied directly to the stems...no overspray, etc. It's called Vine-X and does kill the stuff...unfortunately, we have so much of it that it's almost a losing battle.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-13-2006 at 3:39 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

9. At long last a topic with which I have some expertise. As long as it is glyphosate then it is the same active ingredient as roundup. Just make sure the % active ingredient (glyphosate) is similar to roundup and it should be an identical product. Glyphosate is also sold for aquatic use in really high concentrations, and it is the same stuff for your lawn you would just have to dilute it alot (oh and its not legal since it is not a label use).
    Just be very sure where you are putting it, and that it stays there until its dry. I have seen lots of patches, trails, footprints, and tire tracks made by roundup out on the golf course after someone sprayed.