Thread: Sticking Sandpaper to Cork (and Cork to MDF) ?

Sticking Sandpaper to Cork (and Cork to MDF) ?

I'm making a radiused sanding block out of MDF for sanding some curved pieces - a qtr circle of 4.5" O.S. radius so the block will be a 4.5" concave radius. I'll glue up 4-6 layers of MDF for the block. I plan on putting 1/8" cork over the MDF then the sandpaper over the cork. I think contact cement is probably what I need to put the cork on the MDF, but am open to other suggestions. But what do I use for a temporary adhesive to attach the sandpaper over the cork? I want something that wont rip up the cork face when I need to change grits or paper and remove it. Any ideas?
    Use the fence Luke

I buy my sandpaper in self adhesive rolls for use on my 1/4 and 1/2 sheet sanders and also for sanding blocks like this one. I find it at a local Tool Town so look around.

For what it's worth...

I recently used contact cement to glue 1/8" rolled cork to homasote for a bed project I was building. Not sure why you want the cork on the sanding block, but you could try spray adhesive to attach the sand paper, or Velcro maybe.

Doug, they sell spray adhesive that acts like PSA that you can use for attaching the sandpaper to the cork.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox
    I buy my sandpaper in self adhesive rolls for use on my 1/4 and 1/2 sheet sanders and also for sanding blocks like this one. I find it at a local Tool Town so look around.
    Thanks. You just reminded me I have some sticky rolls that came with my PC Inline sander. Don't know if I've got any of the right grit but that's a good idea. It's been years since I've used that sander or even opened the case, so I'd forgotten about those.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fortier
    I recently used contact cement to glue 1/8" rolled cork to homasote for a bed project I was building. Not sure why you want the cork on the sanding block, but you could try spray adhesive to attach the sand paper, or Velcro maybe.
    The cork is just for a little 'give' in the block so it's not so hard. I did something similar years ago sanding some wide homemade cove moulding and it worked better than just the solid block. I think it helps if there are any slight imperfections between the block and workpiece radii. I cant recall what I used then to attach the paper to the cork, but whatever it was pretty much wasted the cork trying to get the paper off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    Doug, they sell spray adhesive that acts like PSA that you can use for attaching the sandpaper to the cork.
    Another good idea. I'll check Klingspor and see what they have.
    Use the fence Luke

Spray Adhesive Tidbits

Hi, Doug,

Duro brand spray adhesive may be your best bet if you want to remove the sandpaper. I haven't tried it on cork. The adhesive in Elmer's and 3M Super 77 adhesive is way too strong.

If you do use spray adhesive, spray it only on the sandpaper, then wait "a bit" (10-20 seconds?) before applying it to the cork. If applied "wet", the adhesion will be greatly increased.

Again, Duro would be my choice of the three I mentioned. Perhaps others have tried some other brands.

If anything you try adheres too strongly, you can apply mineral spirits to aid in removal. I know that works well for scrollsawyers when they remove patterns.

Regards,
    Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen Devine
    Hi, Doug,

Duro brand spray adhesive may be your best bet if you want to remove the sandpaper. I haven't tried it on cork. The adhesive in Elmer's and 3M Super 77 adhesive is way too strong.....

Colleen
    Colleen - Thanks. The ones I happen to already have are the Elmers and Super 77. One of those may be what I used before that shredded the cork on removal. I did a google search and it looks like the Duro should work well. The closest chain I spotted that looks like they carry it is Joann Fabrics so I'll pick up a can a try it out. According to their page:
    Improved formula is clear, works fast and bonds strong. Ideal for permanent or repositionable bonds. Works on paper, fabrics, leather, cardboard, foil, foams, metal, wood, plastics, rubber, felt and cork.

(My underlines)
    Use the fence Luke

Doug...I use regular tite bond to glue cork to wood bases for my lazy susans all the time with good results.

I have no suggestion for the sandpaper to the cork though.

Doug