Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with a new HVLP

help with a new HVLP

Tossed up where to put this but decided here since it is equipment and not the finish itself.

Just received a new Devilbiss Finishline HVLP. I am curious as to what others have for a hose set up. I am getting good pressure at the gun and have set it at 23 PSI with the trigger pulled. However when I first pull the trigger it takes a second to drop to 23 PSI and the first second is at a higher pressure.

Could that be a sign of inadequate flow or something else I did wrong.

I am running 1/2 copper air lines for shop supply, 3/8 " ID hose with quick connects. Compressor is sinlge stage I think it was rated at 7.3 at 90 PSI but not sure on that.

I am on the way back out to try some other things and am waiting for tech to answer me but most time I find the people here are faster. Not to mention often more accurate.

Thanks in advance

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

joe, you`re using a cheap regulator. a good regulator will solve your problem....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Joe I have a Binks 2001 setup, and had the same prob. Do what Tod said and change to a better regulator. It solved my prob.
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

Hey, Joe...

That's a title to a good song of the 60's. Anyway, you need a regulator at the base of your HVLP and you need to set the compressor regulator at about 75 psi. Once you run the pressure higher at the compressor reg., adjust your gun regulator for best results.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Is that the mini-reg on the gun or a tank mounted unit. I don't have a good one on the compressor just the one it came with. The regulator at the gun is a DeVilbiss that I purchased when I ordered the gun.

I have a no name on my Astro HVLP and it never gave any problems. I am assuming the new gun requires more air and so it is more picky on flow.

One of the local auto shops has a good paint man. I'll stop in tomorrow and see what they have for regulators.

Thanks

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

joe, i use regulators from emglos small cary-around compressors at the gun. they`re a little more bulky than the flow restrictor devilbiss sent you but offer lots better control.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Decent regulators at the compressor and gun will work. Can spend about $50-$75 on one for the compressor, and $25 or so on the one for the gun. Do your research first. DeVilbiss makes a good product. May cost a little more. HTH, Bill
    Last edited by Anthony Anderson; 03-14-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Tod,

I'm just curious but what store(s) sell that regulator?

I've got a few air accessories by Milton but no regulator by them. Its time to get a new reg, any opinions on Milton (not even sure if they make one). If you could include some links if you recommend a filter and or reg.

Thanks
    Brian

Hvlp

It would be very helpful to those of us who are not HVLP wizards to know what is required. I have a compressor on one end and a gun with a can on the other. In between I have a hose connecting the compressor with the gun. What I and other Joe Grabasandwich's need to know is what else is needed; what kind of pressure; etc. How do you get from incompetency to I can do that without hours of frustration and jeez I didn't want to do that. What is a good gun?, I don't plan on doing special painting on Ferrari's, but if there is a better way to apply shellac and othe finishes I would like to get in on it. TIA JFK

Well stated... or asked Mr. John Keane. I second your request. I've seen guns for under 10 bucks and some for over 300. What's the min air volume (CFM) required to spray finish. I assume a good auto painting set up will do a good finishing job....but can you do a decent finishing job without the elaborate equipment found in good auto shops?

Without first hand experience with air guns & HVLP technology, it's difficult to determine exactly what is needed if you plan on entering the shellac & lacquer HVLP world.

One way to get informations is to check with your library. I do not have any good books to refer you to but I know that they are out there.

Take a look at this link for some pretty good information:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/Help.htm

Before your rush in and buy a gun with only one tip, remember that you will require a gun setup with at least two tips. One for clears, inks, dyes, solvents and stains and another one (different size) for lacquers, enamels, waterbornes and acrylic varnish. There are charts at this site showing the different tips required with different gun setups.

Good luck! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-13-2006 at 11:08 PM.

HVLP guns

Great source. Adds to the education, but also adds to the questions.
    E.G. I have a 3HP, 4 gal compressor that rates at 7.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI or 5.8 SCFM @ 90 PSI. I am a hobbyist Woodworker. I would probably use a spray gun for an hour or so a year. Sp[ray shellac and/or stain. If all went well it would be in 15 - 20 minute increments. I want professional results. I buy an Astro . LP or HP. Which one. I am only going to buy one. I don't want a Craftsman and I don't need a Unisaw.
    Last edited by John Keane; 03-13-2006 at 11:52 PM.

John,

I could tell you what I think but the best thing to do is to go to Spray Gun World's main page and over in the second column you will see an area that shows an 800 number to contact "Professor Spray" for your questions and give him a call. If you cannot get in or do not get a return call within a reasonable time frame, send him an email. It may take a good while to get a return email with your questions answered but it will come.

Here is the main page: http://www.spraygunworld.com/
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-14-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Grabasandwich update.

I like grabasandwich.

I did some changing of regulators (off my old gun) and got the same results. I dropped from 25' of 3/8 hose to 10 and removed a couple quick connects (my bypasing the shop air lines) and got much better results.

This leads me to three things.

1) My stock reg on the compressor is not what it needs to be to maintain constant pressure. This is backed up by the fact that one of the gauges has a loose spring inside and doesn't work.

2) My quick connects are restricting airflow some. I had a male/female at the wall connection from the compressor, another at the hose and another at the gun.

3) I am not sure if I should have 23 PSI with the trigger pulled or without. I thought the paperwork said with but I haven't been able to find it. It seemed awful strong that way. It could be an IBM error (idiot behind the machine) or gun in this case.

For John I have an Astro that I used for a lot of spraying stain and Pre-cat and it gave great results. I am getting a new gun for shellac sealer and waterbased Target USL. The Devilbiss finishline was reasonable priced and what I was able to spray today seemed very favorable. It "feels" like a good gun.

I am going to re-plumb the compressor and water seperater and get rid of the stock quick connects and go from there.

Keep em coming we are still listening. ( I talk to myself when reading and breath with my mouth open. )

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

15. Joe, I don't think the quick connects are the problem. I have the finishline HVLP, and I will check it out tomorrow to see if my acts as you say. I haven't read through all the posts, but do you have a regulator at the gun? Later, Bill