Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with a new HVLP

The 1st second you start spraying is off the project. I would practice using the gun before making changes.

okay guys i`ll do my ol` one fingered explanation so if i leave something out sorry!
    you can paint with a "buzzer" type compressor but you must use an efficient gun and only spray in short bursts,(30-45sec.) your spray time can be increased somewhat by adding a reserve tank to your compressor....BUT doing this means the small pump will take longer to recover and lots of the import pumps are not made for constant duty. so to spray longer you wait longer to spray again...

guns, most "joes" don`t need a sata gun, but neither do they need a hf gun. middle of the road is 2-300 bucks. buy locally if you`re able! parts and advice are invaluable. most stuff a woodworker sprays can be thinned to go through a 1.4 tip, this is what i keep on my pot and gravity guns. in very unscientific terms try for the consistancy of half-n-half cream or slightly thinner.

filters/regulators/lines/ect..... since most guys/girls aren`t going to drop 10k on a drier let alone 5-600 on a good decitant read here for what i`ve done to save a buck; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32825

hope this helps? spraying really isn`t that dificult and having good equipment helps but it`s like handcut dovetails, don`t expect to be proud of your first attempt .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Joe, here is what I have on my compressor. It is a Craftsman part #16037 and I bought it at the store. Just checked the price and it is $35. I have been using this at least 7 years and it has worked great.

and a regulator similar to this on the gun

with a pumpkin filter at the gun

I don't have the problem that you mention, and this setup is relatively cheap, and consumes little time to buy (around $75) and install. Drain you compressor regularly, and you will not have any problems. BTW, I rarely use the Finishline at 23 psi. Only if I am spraying something that requires fine atomization. Usually run at about 15 or so psi. This cuts down on the cloud of overspray and reduces material consumption. Did you get a pressure gauge with your gun? HTH, Bill

here`s a pic showing a regultor attached to a pumpkin filter and a devilbiss "flow controll" valve, the devilbiss unit is not a regulator it`s like a needle valve so untill the line is open and flowing air it is at full pressure. i think this type of set-up is what`s causing the "blast" of air when you first pull the trigger? wholesale cost on the emglo reg is 8 bucks no gauge so shop with that knowledge ..02 tod

MVC-210S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Tod,

Nice set up!

Is the paper filter used for moisture and blow by oil? I am assuming that is the case but not sure. The reason that I ask is that I am going to install a new aircompressor, I think. I have at least fourty feet of upslope 3/4" pipe before my drops so I get no water in my water seperators at the drops. However, I would like to assure that I am getting no blow by oil in the lines. If I install a paper filter at the compressor tank is there too much condensation at that point for it to work properly? I would think that it would clog up too much at that point and restrict air flow in my main lines. Is this likely or would I be OK?

I would not mind getting to a point where I do not even need a pumpking filter at my gun. I am tired of a set up three feet long (Gravity feed gun, filter and regulator). That is one reason I am going to go with a pressure feed gun, to make the unit more maneuverable and to be able to spray up as well as in normal positions.

Allen

allen, common sence says that by using drops that require no consumables your system will be more efficient to operate..on my "tool" lines i rely on simple moisture traps with a bowl and mesh filter but on the paint line i use the toiletpaper style filter. the reason i use pumpkins is simply that if they save me from sanding one mess out of a finish the couple bucks was worth it...02 tod

7. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    here`s a pic showing a regultor attached to a pumpkin filter and a devilbiss "flow controll" valve, the devilbiss unit is not a regulator it`s like a needle valve so untill the line is open and flowing air it is at full pressure. i think this type of set-up is what`s causing the "blast" of air when you first pull the trigger? wholesale cost on the emglo reg is 8 bucks no gauge so shop with that knowledge ..02 tod

MVC-210S.JPG
    The one on the right (in tod's picture) is the setup I have on the finishline. Mine is a Devilbiss, and it works fine without the blast of air. Bill

Allen turned me on to Professor Spray, and this is their response. I offer it as information for those of you who like me who know that there is a better way to do something, but don't quite know how to get there.

"I really think the Astro Pnuematic LVLP dual gun setup would be the best choice for you. I can also recommend the Devilibss with a 1.5 & 1.8 tip setup If you can afford it get the 1.3 also. If you have more money then the Jaguar with the 1.4 and 1.7 setup would be the best we carry. Thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane
    Allen turned me on to Professor Spray, and this is their response. I offer it as information for those of you who like me who know that there is a better way to do something, but don't quite know how to get there.

"I really think the Astro Pnuematic LVLP dual gun setup would be the best choice for you. I can also recommend the Devilibss with a 1.5 & 1.8 tip setup If you can afford it get the 1.3 also. If you have more money then the Jaguar with the 1.4 and 1.7 setup would be the best we carry. Thanks"
    john, unless you plan on spraying mud a 1.8 tip is pretty big for finishing..02 tod

I kind of agree with Tod about the larger tip. I see that you can add a 1.3 tip for another $32 to the two gun set. It would still be a bargin. You would have a three tip set up with two guns for the price of ordering two seperate guns with the 1.3 and 1.5 tips. It is also possible that the tips sizes do not equate to the HLVP tip sizes but I'll bet that they do. Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-15-2006 at 5:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    I kind of agree with Tod about the larger tip. I see that you can add a 1.3 tip for another $32 to the two gun set. It would still be a bargin. You would have a three tip set up with two guns for the price of ordering two seperate guns with the 1.3 and 1.5 tips. It is also possible that the tips sizes do not equate to the HLVP tip sizes but I'll bet that they do. Allen
    allen, i spray 95% of my finish/stain/everything through a 1.4 tip on rare occasion i`ll go 1.2 or even .9 for toning with the touch-up gun and very rarely a 1.5 for hosing stuff..02 tod

Tod, Thanks! The only reason that I suggested that he go with the two gun set up is that they are having a great deal on the set. Just as cheap as ordering one gun with two tips. Might as well have a spare gun for very little extra. Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-15-2006 at 5:24 PM.