Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser engraving darkening

Laser engraving darkening

Hi All,

Any tips to do this other than "Laserdark", shoe polish or something.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I've not tried to darken a lasered piece after I have engraved it, but here are some ideas. The best wood for a good dark engraving is alder. Nice contrast ratio. When I need the engraving to stand out, I use laser masking tape (from Laserbits) to cover the whole piece, then engrave it, then fill it with gold or silver paint and remove the un-engraved laser masking tape when the paint is about half dry. You could try black paint or boot polish using this method.

If you don't want to do any filling after engraving, you could try decreasing the power a bit at the same time as decreasing the speed - you might get a longer "burn" on the work. You could also try running it without air assist on (but make sure you don't leave it alone - it could catch fire!).

Dave F.

Nigel,

I like the colored car waxes, tho some (white) doesn't always work out

Bruce

Laser engraving darkening

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    Hi Nigel,

I use laser masking tape (from Laserbits) to cover the whole piece
    Dave,

Transfer tape from a wholesale sign supply is about 1/2 the price of the laserbits mask for the same thing. In fact I buy it in 48" logs cut to useful lengths and end up with extra 2-4" rolls that I'd give away if someone in
    Seattle area wants to stop by the shop.

Nigel,

I'll mostly use paint, and find that One-shot is best but latex is better than spray cans which are thinner and can bleed into the wood. One shot is oil based and nasty fumes but amazingly good stuff. For denser materials spray paint like Krylon works.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

If you simply want to increase the darkening a little more than normal - run the engraving out of focus by up to 1/4" either way.

A little experimenting at different focal lengths sometimes improves the job considerably.

You didn't mention what material you're working with...makes a bit of a difference.

But for wood, the best contrast I've seen is with the thin baltic birch plywood they sell for model airplanes. This is straight out of the laser (25W ULS, 100% power, 50% speed):
    Dragonfly.jpg
    Trick is to just burn off the top layer: next layer down is darker, plus the burnt wood (and maybe the glue) turns it jet black. Shoot it with some spray shellac or lacquer to keep the 'soot' from coming off.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Trick is to just burn off the top layer: next layer down is darker, plus the burnt wood (and maybe the glue) turns it jet black. Shoot it with some spray shellac or lacquer to keep the 'soot' from coming off.
    Lee's right, I also ran into this on a book (Journal) cover that was very light tan thin leather. I burned the lettering into it and the lady wanted it deeper. The next pass was into the hardboard underneath that happened to be black so it worked out nicely.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks for the tip Joe. Next time I need a roll, I'll go to a sign supplies dealer.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the tips, I am working with solid 6mm Beech, every piece burns different, I colour the raster area red to get the best dither effect, some times it burns not black enough so I have to darken that item myself, hence the question. I thought last night of using a wood dye on the area or ink, I need to get hold of a syringe with a fine point, then I can save the rejected items.

Cheers

Nigel

I do a lot of red alder plaques and the process I use is similar to several mentioned here however....

1> mask the plaque with transfer tape (vinyl sign transfer tape is great and low tack).

2> engrave the plaque.

3> spray the engraved area with a Krylon Clear acrylic to seal the wood grain and prevent bleed...let it dry.

4> then paint with whatever color you wish...I use a brown satin (Krylon is fine) for best contrast.

5> scrape/peel the transfer tape from the plaque using a plastic squeegee (get from a sign vinyl supplier).

6> I use a microfiber cloth and a squirt of GooGone to polish the plaque.

The result is great very high contrast brown that you cannot achieve with laser alone...customers are VERY happy!
    Last edited by Roy Barrow; 04-22-2006 at 3:06 PM.

Nigel,

I don't do much engraving but this seems to work ok for me.
    I use .25" pre-finished oak over mdf both sides. Not sure of the finish possible a heat activated poly, the finish is very nice on both sides. Cost about $40 4' X 8'.
    On a 100 watt machine at 100% speed 20% power dpi 250 same as drawing. After engraving I apply a dark oil based stain and wipe clean. No masking required because the wood is pre-finished.
    Piece is 8" X 8", it's the war departments crew.

Dennis

The Crew.jpg

You guys think this is just two passes on birch? I know the wood is birch and clearly it's mid-second pass. I was just surprised to hear that there was no need to add any sort of external chemical to this process. That's just how birch and alder burn? I can't wait to try this....

smuglabs_1423429043.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Weil View Post
    You guys think this is just two passes on birch? I know the wood is birch and clearly it's mid-second pass.
    It looks to me like it is four separate items placed close together.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    It looks to me like it is four separate items placed close together.
    Me too. I don't think it would be possible to obtain that contrast by engraving alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Me too. I don't think it would be possible to obtain that contrast by engraving alone.
    Oh, I think so. That's because the part that has been engraved is the same color in all four, it's just that three were painted black before engraving. That's assuming those were actually laser engraved, do we know for sure that's what was done?
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 04-13-2016 at 2:00 AM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408