Thread: Hitachi Cabinet Saw

Hitachi Cabinet Saw

Has anyone here ever used a Hitachi Cabinet Saw? I found a C12Y Hitachi cabinet saw the guy wants $400.00 for. It uses 12" blades and has a 3 HP motor. I don't remember seeing one of these before and was wondering if it would be worth going to have a look. I've done some searching on the net but haven't found much information on it.

Thanks,

Gary S

For that price I would at least go look at it. Hitachi smaller power tools have a good reputation. Check out the trunions, condition of the table etc, worn bearing, bent arbor, rip fence and adjustment wheels. There is a dealer that eBays new Hatichi stuff but I can't think of their name at the moment. They may be able to answer some of your questions.

Good luck,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Several years ago I looked at a Hitachi 12" saw when my Craftsman motor burnt out. I don't remember why I was talked out of it by my professional cabinetmaker friend now, but he had a couple points that seemed worthy of consideration. His recommendation - a Powermatic 5HP. What did I buy? A Powermatic 5HP. I've never looked back - it is a fantastic saw.

Found an owners manual.....

Gary,
    I could be wrong, I’ve never seen or even heard of one of these before, but after looking at Mike’s PDF post it looks like a contractors/hybrid saw on a pedestal. If it is 3-phase, I’d definitely pass on it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Everyone,

I think i"ll pass on this one. It may be a good machine but if I have a problem later on down the road, parts will be hard to find. The Hitachi site says they stock parts for a tool only for 5 years after it is discontinued. It appears there are very few of these saws out there. Thanks again for everyones help.

Gary S