Thread: New chainsaw

New chainsaw

Need a new chainsaw, 18 to 20 bar. Preferably Husky or if someone has any suggestions. Where is a good place to buy one that has great prices?

Husky or Stihl are good choices. Stihl must be bought locally...no Internet/mail order is allowed. Bailey's is a very good source for Husky...as well as chains, bars, etc. (I own a Stihl purchased locally, but buy my other goods from Bailey's)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would go with whatever is sold and serviced locally; Stihl, Husky, Jonsrud are all good. I went with a Stihl MS290/20" which fits my needs, if I were using the 20" capacity often I would go with something bigger.

Stihl

I have a Stihl 460 and I got it at Nation Rent. They were at least $80 cheaper then the other 10 places I checked locally.

Jeff Singleton

Stihl 20" 036 -- Great saw!! ....check the archives though, we've been over this one before.

I have a Stihl 270c WoodBoss with 18" bar and I really enjoy using it. I have known no other so....

I have a Stihl 044 that I bought used from the local power shop. They had completely gone through the saw. It's done everything I've asked it to do, including a rip chain to split logs in half for resaw purposes. It's no lightweight - the saw's rated at about 5.5 HP. It sure makes bucking up firewood a fast job.

The new model is the MS440 and is considered a pro saw. The 044 and 046 have been one the firefighters and National Guard have used for years as their primary saw.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest buying from the local power shop where you can get the saw serviced.

Rob

How does the Husky 350e stand? I've found it for $299.00. Are the Poulans as bad as everyone here says?
    Last edited by Steve Hayes; 03-17-2006 at 5:14 PM.

I have a Stihl Pro MS360 w/ 20" bar. For what I 'll use it for ,It'll last forever. Saw,20"bar chain, spare chain, case, oil,chain lube, file, spare plugs ran around 6 bills. The LOML got it for me for Christmas 2 years ago. My dealer is about 7 miles away. Good guys to deal with. Got a Stihl weed whipper also.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Hi Steve,
    I have a Stihl .025 and .041 and an Echo. The Ech is the little limb saw they make. I like them all vey much. I think the Echo's are very good saws for the money. They tend to cost less than a Stihl or Husky.
    I'd look at them before I make a decision.
    Happy Hunting, Brian

On Stihl saws, the odd number saws had the frame built around the engine. (37)
    Even number saws the frame is part of the engine. (36)
    So even are more power, lighter weight saws.
    This was before the numbering system changed last year. but still applies
    Ouch that splinter hurt

I just purchased a Troy bilt TB4218CC at Lowes. Their closing them out for $95.00 with case and an extra chain. It seemed like a good deal. What do you guys think. Are they good saws? I will not be using it every day maybe a couple of times a month.