Thread: fingernail grind using the Wolverine jig?

fingernail grind using the Wolverine jig?

I bought the Wolverine system when I bought my Woodcraft grinder. I would like to try the "fingernail grind" on my spindle gouge. I have the vari-grind attachment. Does anybody use this to grind their spindle gouge to a fingernail grind?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    I bought the Wolverine system when I bought my Woodcraft grinder. I would like to try the "fingernail grind" on my spindle gouge. I have the vari-grind attachment. Does anybody use this to grind their spindle gouge to a fingernail grind?
    The Harbor Freight spindle gouge already had a fingernail grind on it, so I didn't have to rough-form it. But the Vari-jig worked fine for sharpening it, once I deciphered the, um, sparse instructions.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee................using the term sparse is being generous when refering to the included instructions!
    Ken

Ken,

The videos may help you get the "feel".

http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media.htm

Wes

Ken - The vari-grind is infinitely variable (hence its name, duh).

Simply put, one end of the adjustment range is for putting an irish grind on a bowl gouge and the other end of the range is for pretty much everything else. The in between stuff is for fussy personal preferences. At least that's how I've always thought of it.

Hold the Varigrind in your left hand with your left thumb on the gouge tightening knob and the wingnut for the arm facing you. Loosen the wingnut on the arm and slide the arm up towards your left wrist as far as it will go. That's the fingernail (and everything else) spot.
    Only the Blue Roads

I had watched the video on the vari-grind and apparently missed it the first time where the guy grinds a fingernail grind on the spindle gouge. I watched it a second time....received Lee's reply......went to the shop and put a fingernail grind on a 1/2" HF spindle gouge. Worked great! Thanks!
    Ken

No need to add my $.02. You got the video and all the inf. you need.
    I just worked on a four winged bowl this morning( not quite finished yet, some sanding and finish left to do). The ONLY tool I used was a 1/2" sorby Bowl gouge with the Elsworthy/Irish,fingernail grind and just a little touchup on the inside with a round nose scraper.

One of my favorite tools.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 03-19-2006 at 12:07 AM.

Bruce, the fingernail grind on a spindle gouge is a bit different than a side-grind on a bowl gouge, such as the Ellsworth. The principle is the same in that the bevel angle varies, but due to the great differences in the tool flute designs as well as the appropriate angles, the setting on the Vari-grind is quite different. It's more "upright" for a side grind on a bowl gouge and uses a greater angle on the jig for a fingernail.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had some extremely hard fir scrap in the shop I'd been using for practice. Using a skew I made a couple of V cuts about an inch apart. Then using the newly fingernail ground Larson spindle gouge, I started making coves from the Vs............What a big difference! When I got done I had coves that came together at the Vs and the Vs were sharp enough to hurt! Wow...what a difference correctly sharpened tools make! Wow!
    Ken