Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Tablesaw question - PM66

Another Tablesaw question - PM66

Hi all,

I have a lead on a Powermatic Model 66 (approx 1996 vintage) with a Powermatic sliding table and a mobile base. The owner, a very nice elderly man in a town nearby me, says the saw probably has about 40-50 hours usage on it. Says he is still using the original blade that came with the saw. He also has a Mini Max model 32 (I think) 10" benchtop band saw with tilt table and a Hitachi 12" Planer/Jointer, as he referred to it. He has offered to sell me all three items for what seems to be a good price. $1700 to be exact. While I have no real need for the bandsaw and maybe not even the planer (I have a lunchbox Delta), I may be able to re-sell the other items to help lower the cost of the PM66

Now, the question. Do you guys (and gals) think the saw is worth the price? I know they sell for much more than this new but that doesn't mean their worth it. I have never used a PM66 but I have played around on a 5 or six year old Unisaw and it was very nice. And how about the sliding table? Is this something you think you would use a lot or is it something that just takes up space (and my shop is already kinda small as in 16 x 24) and is not justifed. I am a hobbyist, nothing more. I am trying to learn woodworking to teach myself patience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Brad

Good deal...

IF you are going to utilize that sliding table attachment - that's about a $900 option. As you said, they take up LOTS of room and you'd sacrifice too much space in your shop, imho. I have a 90's vintage PM66 and I believe they were made a little better than todays 66. If you really want the saw I bet you could sell the sliding table and the other two and end up with a net outlay of $1100 or so...but selling off the other gear may take some time. Is the saw worth $1100? I say YES. It may be a good time to do the deal if you ever wanted a cabinet saw. Good luck!

you will wonder how you EVER got along without a sliding table once you've got one! i didn't even know that powermatic made them for their cabinet saws! great brand - i've got their contractor's saw model. pass on the other two if you don't want to deal with craiglisting or ebaying it. good luck. hope you have some friends to help you move that BEHEMOTH table saw (what's it weight in at with the sliding table? 400 pounds?!?)

Thanks Brent. Thats pretty much what I was thinking. I'll know more tomorrow.

Brad

I have a Delta Unisaw with a sliding table and it is the cat's meow for doing wide crosscuts and doing things like dados and drawer parts, squaring assemblies and the list goes on and on.

I'm sure you would like the setup but I'm not so sure there is room in the shop for a pm66 with a sliding table. Mine stretches right on out there in my shop and I often wish I could take the sliding table off more easily to make it easy to move things around.

I'd say if you can figure out a way to shoe horn it into the shop go right ahead. You will enjoy having a good cabinet saw.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Hi Frank. Your excitement about the sliding table has me curious now. I'd really like to give it a go if possible. Can't pass on the other two, its a package deal. All or nothing.

Brad

Thanks Jim. This is what bothers me most, do I have room for it? Inside my shop I also have a Cyclone 2 hp unit, a 14" bandsaw, a drafting table, an upright air compressor, three routers with different bases, a handy half dozen (well, maybe just a few) cordless guns, yada yada yada....... and Oh yeah, some clamps. I need a bigger shop already without the 66!!

Brad

Think FOOTPRINT...

Brad, 16X24 shop? You have seen how big these sliding tables are? I have no doubts whatsoever what Jim said regarding their usefullness (I'd love one) but I'm telling you, you will regret giving up the space for that. Here's what I'd do, buy it all, sell the slider and get the festool 55 saw. If you sell the jointer/planer you'll have that much more towards a CT vac and a 4' rail. Use the festoolsetup to crosscut your sheets and as a bonus, think of all the OTHER applications you'll get out of the saw which can get neatly tucked away in the corner taking up a mere 2 s.f. of shop space

Brent,

Yeah, I'm thinkin' footprint. But, I will only have this opportunity once. I have been watching for a good used cabinet saw for quite some time. I have often thought about a sliding table but honestly don't know if I would use it much. As has been said before, once I have one I may not want to ever give it up. As I am still putting my shop together I have the chance to 'see' if I can make this thing work. One thing for sure, betcha I'll try to make room for it. But that sure will make it tough for me to have room for an outfeed table doing double duty as an assembly table, huh.

Brad

Nothing says you can't store the slider if you don't have room NOW. Possibly your next shop will have the extra room to make it feasible, or maybe an addition to the current shop in the future sometime. If it is a 900.00 option, and you can get the saw and the slider for 1700.00 ans still sell the other two items, I'd say you'd be smelling like a rose(wood). Sounds like a great deal if it is in at least decent shape. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Looking at it TODAY

Well, I'm off to help my SIL put up signs (he's running for office in our county), then I'm going to go and see this monster saw. IF it is in as good shape as the owner says and IF all items are what I think they are and IF I can get this thing arranged to fit in my shop and IF the LOML doesn't kill me ........... I'll own it. Pics may follow.

Brad

I have a PM66 with the Exactor sliding table. I had the table on a previous saw and when I go the PM66 I did not put it on at first. I went about 6 months and realized how much I missed it and so I spent a day and half putting it on. I use it all the time. Mine only has a 36" crosscut capacity and is not THAT much bigger than the saw was before because I have a big out feed table. Go for it. You can pick up the cast iron extension wings on **** if you don't want to use the slider. I have seen 2 in the last 2 or three months and they go pretty reasonable. I would store it if you decide against using it and later if you get a bigger shop, you can put it on then. It is as was said a $900 option.

CPeter

Brad.

It's a good deal bro'. Go for it.
    I'll guarantee you that after you use that slider for the first time. You will rearrange your shop to make room for it.
    You can't lose on this deal, if everything is as advertised.

If you don't get it, let one of your other Ohio woodworkin' friends know where to go get it.

Brad, I also think it's a good deal, even if you need to store the slider for awhile. (Hopefully, he still has the outboard cast iron wing, although You can likely get one from Jet/PM)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Pm 66 for a long time....it is a great saw...I just use my sleds no sling table. The price is very good considering how little it was used
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"