Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good 3hp Router?

Don't laugh - but I've been using a Ryobi RE600 3 HP soft start router for about 15 yrs as a shaper. I've made thousands of feet of molding with it out of stock lumber and it just won't die. I was tempted to do the Milwaukee 5625, but I've heard and seen service issues with it. I then snagged a 3 HP shaper and ended my hunt. I guess I'll go to my grave with it in my shop. How embarassing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Geltz
    I was tempted to do the Milwaukee 5625, but I've heard and seen service issues with it.
    Jeff, can you be more specific about the issues that you have heard about and seen? This is the router that I have my eye on and, if I buy it, I am counting on it to last for many years.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 03-19-2006 at 4:29 PM.

I picked up the green hulk. A Hitachi M12V. I just couldn't pass it up for the price. 3.25 HP (if you believe that) and it has been wonderful. I just recently removed the springs from the plunge base and it has made it much easier to adjust in the table.

This is not a router I would plan on removing from the base and using it by hand. It's very heavy.

I'm sure there are better ones, but for $160, it's a heck of a deal.

If you'd like more details, please let me know.

Michael

Frank,

A buddy of mine bought one a year or so ago and it put it in a nice Incra lift. Within a week it was dead. He brought it back to the dealer and after a few hassles they agreed to fix it. If I recall the problem had to do with the electronics. Can't tell if it works well or not as he has since moved and the router is still packed up. I've also seen other people posting service issues here and there. Not sure why people are having trouble with it as I normally hear good things about Milwaukee tools.

I have a 518, 7518, 7539 ?, a Milwaukee something and a 2hp PC plunge, they all work great. All have plenty of power and weigh. The 518 has a mind of it's own and PC didn't have a clue as how to fix it. It would change speeds on it's own even after a new microprocessor. It's weird personallity kinda fits in with the rest of the shop though. I did a couple kitchens 15 years ago with a router and then bought some shapers. Oliver 285, 287 and a 3hp Delta. The 10hp 287 eats up raised panel like crazy. I have a set of Freud router bits for cope and stick and 3 raised panel bits that just sit in the a draw that will never to be opened again. Routers for paneled doors have their place but don't ever compare them to a shaper, it's not a fair comparison. It's like comparing a Delta Unisaw with a sliding table to an Altendorf F-45, it just isn't fair. Happy splinters.

Jeff Singleton
    Singleton's Woodworking & Pattern Works

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fross
    I picked up the green hulk. A Hitachi M12V. I just couldn't pass it up for the price. 3.25 HP (if you believe that) and it has been wonderful. I just recently removed the springs from the plunge base and it has made it much easier to adjust in the table.

This is not a router I would plan on removing from the base and using it by hand. It's very heavy.

I'm sure there are better ones, but for $160, it's a heck of a deal.

If you'd like more details, please let me know.

Michael
    Just got mine a couple weeks ago. Very happy with it so far...........and I haven't used it in a table yet (since I'm in the process of building a new table). I've been only using it at speed "1" and it works OK for tableless routing but I'd not recommend it. I do like it so far and highly recommend it. It'll be fantastic in my table, where it will stay.

Dewalt 625

I love mine, and it gets good reviews.

M12V here. No complaints so far.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Geltz
    Don't laugh - but I've been using a Ryobi RE600 3 HP soft start router for about 15 yrs as a shaper.
    Same here, been a good one for me. I just recently bought a used mini max 4 h.p. shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Jeff, can you be more specific about the issues that you have heard about and seen? This is the router that I have my eye on and, if I buy it, I am counting on it to last for many years.
    I'll jump in since I own a 5625. Couple of weeks ago I posted about a service issue regarding some play in the motor spindle that was corrected. A search for "Milwaukee 5625" should find it.

That notwithstanding the 5625 seems pretty solid and the adjustment and locking mechanism are what I prefer over the 7518 which I've also owned and logged a lot of time with. The 7518 is fine but the 5625 addressed the only issues I had with it.

New PC's aren't using the same bearings as once upon a time (China) so keep that in mind. Milwaukee's are Japanese which I prefer over Chinese bearings FWIW.

As a side note, I tried two 5625's that had the same spindle play before contacting Milwaukee directly. They then came up with a fix I'm comfortable with.

Best regards.

Russ,

I've owned both the PC 7518 and the Hatachi M12V and was not impressed by either. I currently have (in the 3 horse class) the Bosch , the Milwaukee, 4- Makita 3612c, the Triton and just added the Worx.

Prior to the Worx, the Milwaukee would have my pick followed closely by the Makita 3612c.

The Worx was a surprise and a half. It is rated 3 horse, 15 amp. Weight is a very light for a 3 horse - 10 pounds. All knobs are aluminum. There is a plastic coating on the plunge lock lever. I've only used this one as a hand held and it was extremely comfortable to hold. There is no vibration. The speed control is great. I set it on 5 of 6 and made a cut in red oak with the full cutting edge of a multi-form bit (I do this as a power check only and DON'T recommend that anyone else try it.) The speed controller maintained the starting speed and the cut was very smooth. Needless to say I was very impressed with the power of the Worx. The noise level is less than most 3 horse routers. From my limited use of the router, it rates with the very best of the 3 horse class. I would like to see a larger hole in the base.

Burt

I've had one for about 6 years. Never had a problem. Now have it in a Jessum excel table. A perfect but expensive combination.
    Dave