Thread: Drilling Pen Blanks **PIC**

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Drilling Pen Blanks **PIC**

At Bill Grumbine's picnic questions arose about drilling pen blanks with the holes perpendicular to the blank length so as to eliminate the use of a pen mill (in most cases). I have since been questioned about the drill press set-up to accomplish this. I took a pic yesterday of the simple drill press vise set-up I use.

It is a very simple block with a "V" groove cut square to the bottom edge. Along the bottom edge of the block is a ¼" strip (hard to see in the pic) that registers the blank at the bottom. Notice the small line filed on the front jaw of the vise. This is used to register the blank left to right.

The vise is securely clamped to the drill press table after aligning so as to be drilling in the approximate center of a 3/4 x 3/4 blank. The drill press down stop is set to drill to 1/8" short of drilling through the blank to prevent blowouts. I cut the individual blanks ¼" longer than the required length. (after drilling, the blanks are trimed to the required length).

I use up-fluted drill bits and remove the drill several times during drilling to clear out chips and reduce the heat applied to the blank. Normally 4 or five times.

After drilling I simply remove the blank, load a new one on the "V" block, line the "V" block up with the line on the vise and drill away.

It isn't fancy - but it sure works well - the block in this pic has been used on more than 1000 pieces. I might make a new one one of these days .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-11-2003 at 11:54 AM.

Drilling pens.

I don't know why anyone drills pens these days. I just go to my local supplier and buy pen-holes at $5 per 100.
    The same store sells sky-hooks and, for campers, hip-holes.