Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent lamination>>>Glue to use????

Bent lamination>>>Glue to use????

Hey gang. So, I've got this little project going for the LOML, which will include a curved top and will require an apron below to follow the curve of the top. I have a jig made, complete with holes for the clamps to go through and the wood strips (Bubinga) already cut to make the bend. Now, I realize that Unibond 800 would probably be the best, but the setup temp of that is kind of restricting me. Would a good yellow glue do the trick OK for me??? I typically use Lee Valley 2002 GF, though I also have some TB II available, as well. FWIW, I also have some Titebond Cold Press for Veneer glue, though I was told by another WW that, the stuff isn't what one would call "ideal". Any help, suggestions, past experience, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

regular wood glue

is all I use..... white takes longer to set is all

Titebond regular gets spread on everything around here, except my wheat bread.

John,

The 2002 GF would be a fine glue to use for your bent laminations. I use regular Tite Bond glue instead of the TB II as it produces less glue creep. The key is lots of clamps!! Make you a jig to bend around and clamp to. Coat it real well with Johnson's Paste Wax and the lamination will come right off the clamping form. I did this with the chairs I made and it works great.

Just use your regular wood glue and it'll work fine. I've used White Glue before and it works just fine as well, about 4 hours of set time in luke warm temps and it'll be fine.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I snitch wax paper outa da house for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    I snitch wax paper outa da house for that.
    LOL!!! I did too until I got "caught".!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hello John,

As the others have mentioned what you have will work. A couple years ago I built a rocking chair and used DAP Plastic Resin glue for the bent laminations. It is cheap and easy to mix (comes in a powder which you mix with water), and gave me sufficent time to get all my layers in place (I think I had 8). My results were great, virtually no spring back and a rock hard lamination.

On the downside, it is hard on traditional jointer knives when you go to square up the edge for ripping to final width. I knew this upfront and simply planned my sharpening schedule accordingly.

Go Badgers!

I agree with CJ and Steve that good old PVA wood glues work great for bentwood laminations. Although I haven't done many of them, the few that I have done have never delaminated.

But John mentions that the wood is Bubinga. Isn't that one of those oily tropicals that might at least need a good wipedown with acetone or something first before the glue? I don't know anything about bubinga.

I did find out that PVAs don't work worth a darn on IPE (another oily tropical) Gorilla glue was the answer for me with IPE. But man what a messy job that would be putting up a bent lamination with Gorilla glue.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

That is surprising!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Titebond regular gets spread on everything around here, except my wheat bread.
    Hi Georgeous,
    Are you SURE about the wheat bread? The left side of your mouth looks like you may have forgotten the rules once or twice.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Sorry!

Hey Spring,
    MAN! You have more different glues in your shop than I have TOOLS!! I never get far enough with any of MY projects to need that "fastening" stuff!

Sorry I can't help but the only liquids I have in MY shop are Maalox and Milk of Magnesia!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Blog Entries
    John, I happened to walk on up to David Marks giving some expanation at the recent Woodworking show in North Jersey and he was talking about just this subject. He demonstrated a dried piece of ordinary wood glue and a dried piece of resin glue that he usually uses on his show. The normal wood glue was easily able to bend. The resin glue was very stiff. He said that it is a much better choice to use the resin glue since it was much stiffer and thusly, would not allow anywhere near as much "springback" (that's my word for it, not what he used) but you get the idea.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

When we tpok the workshop from Sam Maloof and he was showing how he laminated his rockers he said he used Tightbon III if I remember correctly.

I cover my forms for bent laminations with duct tape. Works just like teflon. No sticking at all.

CPeter

The 2002Gf will work fine ...plastic resin is better. remember the wood has memory....(I am losing mine ) and it will spring back when dry... I let laminations go over night... I made many plywood chair seats and backs using mdf forms....and clamps...I spread te glue with a small flat board to cover quickly... The spring back is about 10 to 20 percent depending on the wood...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

john, i have used most glues sucessfully on bent laminations since this is an indoor piece the main consideration is how much stress your plys are under... if the bend is tight or your plys are fat you would be smart to use a non-creeping glue such as plastic-resin, urea formaldihide or polyurethane. if your plys are thin and the bend gradual then yellow/white or hide glue would be fine......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.