Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent lamination>>>Glue to use????

Thanks for all the replies, gents! I think I'm going to go with my "usual" glue of choice, the 2002. I've been using that ever since Mark Singer recommended it last summer and I've been very pleased with it. (Thanks Mark! ) This is my first attempt at a bent lamination, so we'll see how it ends up. The Bubinga was resawn and then drum sanded to just shy of a 1/16", so it's bending quite easily.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

I've had real good luck with Titebond II On some fairly tight bends on ash and walnut laminations. The material was cut to 3/32. I experienced no creep at all. I've found that plastic packing tape works real well on all my forms.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hi Georgeous,
    Are you SURE about the wheat bread? The left side of your mouth looks like you may have forgotten the rules once or twice.

Dale T.
    Only once or twice

The traditional professional adhesive for bent laminations is urea formaldihyde. DAP/Weldwood Plastic Resin is a UF glue that is fairly readily available. UF adhesive cure hard and have no "creep" which means there is little or no springback. The curve you glue is what you get.

PVA adhesives (yellow glues) are OK for bent laminations that will be supported in some manner. Curved apron fronts are an example of a supported lamination. However, for a non-supported lamination like chair rockers, PVA's are not the best choice. PVA's are softer adhesives have low shear adhesion which means that the laminations can slip past each other allowing the curve to undo over time.
    Howie.........

I am making my first attempt at a bent lamination using pine. I was doing so research on the proper glue to use and found this thread. It's from 2005, so I assume products have changed. I researched uf glues as suggested, but they do not seem as readily available as suggested. Has anyone tried gorilla glue (the thread also recommends poly based glues)? Or what other readily available products is everyone using. Thanks

I used West System six10 on a recent project that was white oak and 4 layers about 1/8" each. The bend was very severe. I built a big "press" form. Used MANY clamps. The six10 gave me plenty of open time.

I've used DAP urea formaldahyde glue for bent laminations for a Morris chair.

Great stuff.

long open time. Solid bond.

Don't overlook the temperature requirements. I had a partially failed glue up due to a cold shop Yikes

I think I'm still a bit rattled by that one

Dave

I'm with Howard (and others) and use Urea Formadehyde glue. In particular I use Unibond 800.

Springback has been quite minimal. YMMV, but I feel it's good advice. Other glues may work, but Urea Formaldehyde glues will certainly work.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I used to use urea fomaldehyde (Unibond 800) for bent lamination. But I became concerned about the formaldehyde exposure. Formaldehyde is on the EPA's list of known carcinogens. And the building-products industry is working very hard to reduce formaldehyde content in building products like insulation and plywood. I switched to epoxy for bent laminations. It too is a glue without cold-creep. I use West Systems 105. An added benefit is that epoxy will cure at lower temperatures than urea formaldehyde.

Hi Alan,

I live in Tampa as well. Do you mail order it or do you get it locally? Thanks

I use West System on spiral handrails. Plenty of open time, ample rigidity, plus it's less toxic than the formaldehyde glues. These are laminations that can take an hour our more to lay up and require a lot of tweaking.

That being said if I was doing a table apron, I would just with my regular old Titebond, whichever type was nearest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    Hi Alan,

I live in Tampa as well. Do you mail order it or do you get it locally? Thanks
    Mail order. I haven't found it locally.

Highland Woodworking, Vacupress, and a few others sell it online. I'll have to see where I got mine.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 04-27-2014 at 1:13 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'm no expert on bent lamination projects, only done one project that was a 40" dia coffee table apron. Used titebond 800, it turned out very good. That is some very hard glue when it dries. I was a little surprised how easy the project was. I think the hardest part was building the form. I used this article as a guide. Good luck!
    http://www.americanwoodworker.com/bl...amination.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I'm no expert on bent lamination projects, only done one project that was a 40" dia coffee table apron. Used titebond 800, it turned out very good. That is some very hard glue when it dries. I was a little surprised how easy the project was. I think the hardest part was building the form. I used this article as a guide. Good luck!
    http://www.americanwoodworker.com/bl...amination.aspx
    im im guessing you meant uni-bond 800' not tite bond 800?

On my Maloof rocker, I used the Titebond Extend glue.