Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    then went to SF and hit Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Golden Gate Bridge, the Wharf, toured a submarine, road the trolly, drove down crooked street and visited China town.
    Wow, some things never change. I did all of that back in '88 when I visited SF on vacation - with a few exceptions. The lineup for the Trolley was too long, weren't interested in Alcatraz, and we just walked Lombard street instead of driving it. But I sure bonked my head a few times in that Submarine!! Aren't there any newere tourist things to do?

Of course, growing up near Niagara Falls, I lost count of the number of times we visited that landmark -- everytime anyone came to visit!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Wow, some things never change. I did all of that back in '88 when I visited SF on vacation - with a few exceptions. The lineup for the Trolley was too long, weren't interested in Alcatraz, and we just walked Lombard street instead of driving it. But I sure bonked my head a few times in that Submarine!! Aren't there any newere tourist things to do?

Of course, growing up near Niagara Falls, I lost count of the number of times we visited that landmark -- everytime anyone came to visit!
    Great town to visit. But did you sail the Bay????? I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could stand the traffic .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Let's see...spent too much money at Home Despot, including the purchase of the Ridgid cart which the setting up of also took some of my weekend, especially if you include a trip to the local hardware store for additional bolts.

Put a new rear bumper on one of my cars, the old one was lightly bent and it's been bugging me since I bought it, finally found one for far less than the $1200 everyone else wanted for a replacement.

Deja moo -- the feeling you've heard this bull before

My brothers and I started working on this end table (shown in CAD). All the parts were made in poplar over the weekend. The top is a 20" dia glass purchased from Pier 1 Imports years ago. Now the difficult part is to add the faux marble finish. Any suggestions are welcome.
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    My brothers and I started working on this end table (shown in CAD). All the parts were made in poplar over the weekend. The top is a 20" dia glass purchased from Pier 1 Imports years ago. Now the difficult part is to add the faux marble finish. Any suggestions are welcome.
    -Jeff

jeffery, automotive paint and crinkled up plastic will give the effect you`re looking for. practice on scrap first....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Picked up the Ridgid MSUV Friday on the way home from work, assembled it, and realized I really need to move some more junk out of the garage to create more shop space. Didn't actually do anything about it yet, but it's climbing up the priority list.

Got some shop time Saturday, so I put together a paper towel holder that had been ordered a while back. Still need to apply the finish beyond the stain and BLO that's on it, but I think the customer will be happy. I'm trying to emulate her existing bath cabinets, and in the process I've had a few "firsts" on this project.

Pretty much blew the whole day Sunday dressed up as a viking chief while helping out LOML's brother and his viking re-enactment pals on a photo shoot. Really not my cup 'o tea, but it was a pleasure to work with a good photographer. (His day job is shooting still shots during movie production, so he knows his stuff and brought cool gear.)

- Vaughn

Well let see. Turned 3 boxes and 3 bowls. Got some log cutting in for blanks. Did some yard work and watched some basketball.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Studio Easel

I've been working on a studioi easel for my daughter. It's an interesting project. Not too difficult but different from anything I've done before. I need to complete the assembly of the adjustable mast and build the upper and lower canvas brackets. She wants a small cabinet below the lower canvas bracket for paint tubes and turps containers. I'll finish it with shellac sealer and wipe on poly. Here's a pic of the progress to date.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I spent the weekend tuneing up some of my nieander tools, tumed up my neighbors "inexpensive plane". The I cleaned up my metal lathe/mill/drill press so I can sell it. When it's sold I'll use the funds to get a real woodworking lathe instead of trying to use the metal lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder

Hey first time really visiting there, been there for work a few times. So pretty much did the SF portion in 2 days, I also forgot to mention we did the wine country piece too. Hit about 4-5 wineries and did the tastings.

Sailing, nope no sailing, but did ride the boat. Sub, was really cool, but at 6-2, not much head room for me in there. As to other things, we just plain ran out of time to do much else, my 6 year old son was a trooper and never complained even after all the miles of walking we did.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Hey first time really visiting there, been there for work a few times. So pretty much did the SF portion in 2 days, I also forgot to mention we did the wine country piece too. Hit about 4-5 wineries and did the tastings.

Sailing, nope no sailing, but did ride the boat. Sub, was really cool, but at 6-2, not much head room for me in there. As to other things, we just plain ran out of time to do much else, my 6 year old son was a trooper and never complained even after all the miles of walking we did.
    That wine thing is pretty nifty, Had to have a limo cause we sure couldn't drive after. Took a hot air ballon ride in the Napa Valley too Way cool.
    I like that neighborhood.
    When we sailed the bay we were docked at peer 29?? With all the sea lions. Not my idea. Heard and smelled them for two full days.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Well, looks like everyone has had a pretty productive weekend. I spent Saturday sanding a set of cabinet doors and drawer fronts and applying the stain. I used WD Lockwood's dye stain to get a chocolate brown color resembling walnut over soft maple. Once I got the doors and fronts stained I set them aside on the sawhorses to spray on Sunday. I spent all day sunday spraying sanding sealer, sanding to 280 and finally 3 coats of Gemni Furniture Finish in a Semi-gloss finish. Today I went to the job with the doors and put all of them but 3 on the cabinets. I ran out of hinges and the truck won't be here until tomorrow. At least hannging 3 doors won't take long and the jobsite is just a 1/4 mile down the road. I'm waiting on the hardware to arrive too so that I can wrap this job up. I've still got to build a mobile island but it can acutally go in after they occupy the house. Pics will follow once the countertops and appliances get in place. I really like the kitchen layout and have really enjoyed working for these people. Good to have good customers.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Blog Entries
    Got quite a bit done on the oak and walnut shadow box picture frames on Friday and that was a good thing since a good portion of Saturday was spent in the shop with my youngest brother fabricating up three panels that will bolt together to be a summer "wall" in the opening of one of his customers garage bay openings. I had originally thought that we were going to be building a screen door, but that was some misunderstanding on my part. A screen door was fit into one of the panels. We did find about forty minutes to get across the street to a freinds house where there is a nice sized bass pond to wet our lines for a bit.

Friday night the LOML and I got together with some freinds at a benefit for another racing buddy that lost his life recently and didn't have much in the way of health or life insurance. I understand that around $15,000 was raised Friday night through the beef and beer dinner as well as the fifty-fifty and chinese auction deals. Sunday was the usual weekly get together of the racing guys to enjoy the bar room and the NASCAR event. The race was rained out, but heck, with a pool table and beer on tap, things can still go well.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!