Thread: Welding text in Corel

Welding text in Corel

I did this function some time ago but didn't make notes of it the steps taken on the welding function in Corel. What I have is a box object which I need to weld some text to at the bottom center of the box so both the text and the box are vector cut together. Basically these are picture frames with a personal name vector cut along with the exterior and interior of the frame..

The attached pic shows one I did awhile back but can't remember how it was done.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the regular 'weld' function works if you do 'convert text to curves' first.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I recall doing that step, converting to curves, so I did try it this morning and what happens is when the text is told to weld to the box, it welds, but the text is no visible any longer after that. I thought maybe the text had to be brought to the front but that don't work either. Welding text, say to the topside of the box works fine, but putting it in the inside of the box has got me puzzled...

Mike

Welding text in Corel

Move your text to the top of the box. Convert to paths, weld. Then in node edit mode just move the bottom box corner points back up to the
    top where you want them.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,

I did figure it out, not the way you mentioned, but it did work. Although your method eliminates a few steps and much quicker. It's terrible getting older and can't remember such simple tasks unless you write it down..Thanks for the help guys..

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike klein
    Joe,

It's terrible getting older and can't remember such simple tasks unless you write it down..
    How true, I'm always writing things down or documenting with comments in the Corel file.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Looks like you want "Trim", not "Weld".

Shaddy

Shaddy,

Well, the picture I attached in my 1st message was done using the weld function some time ago, and that's what I had a hard time remembering how I did it. Tnx to others here, I have since been able to re-create the vector cut I was trying to accomplish.

Sounds like another way is to use the 'Trim' function as you say. I tell ya, seems like every day I can lean a new function of Corel that I didn't know existed and makes work a lot easier.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Shaddy Dedmore
    Looks like you want "Trim", not "Weld".

Shaddy
    So 'weld' for outside, 'trim' for inside? Makes sense, I guess...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Altho you figured it out, epilog has a great explanation on this subject.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_combiningoutline.htm

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Adding to this discussion.....with the attachment Mike made available. Is is possible to complete (raster) the name to give it a 3-D look?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Barberousse
    Adding to this discussion.....with the attachment Mike made available. Is is possible to complete (raster) the name to give it a 3-D look?
    You could try this,

After placing the text but before welding, duplicate (Ctrl-D) with offset at 0,0. Now you can weld the text underneath the copy and still have the other centered on top. Now you try changing the fill to fountain or 50% gray or whatever and see what happens. Just be careful to not set an outline value on the unwelded text or it will cut it out completely.

Check out Epilog’s other Sample Club things, some are pretty cool.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002