Thread: Woodworking Book

Woodworking Book

I have my table saw on the way (went with the 50-220), but now would like to get a general woodworking book. something that goes over the basics and could be used as a reference. Any suggestions?

"Tage Frid teaches woodworking" Books one and two are bound together
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I know that you asked for a general woodworking book and I do not have a recommendation for that, but I can recommend a really good video about using you new table saw. It is "Mastering Your Table Saw" by Kelly Mehler. I am sure that a Google search will turn up several places to purchase it if you are interested.

I agree with Mark - the Tage Frid book is excellent and it's less than $20.

A more expensive option is "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking" published by Tauton Press. It's actually three books and will run you about $75.

But start with the Tage Frid book.

Mike

Your local public library is a good place to start, see what they have, and if you find a book you like, buy a copy. Different books appeal to different readers, a lot depends on whether you respond best to pictures or descriptions, etc.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    "Tage Frid teaches woodworking" Books one and two are bound together
    Tage Frid's books are now available as a set of three, with a CD. The books are housed in a hard cardboard sleeve. Books 1,2&3 are seperated.
    It's a nice set. I was thinking about picking it up, but it was $85.00 at the bookstore. Yikes
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-21-2006 at 7:52 AM.

I've been a member of The Woodworkers Book Club ( www.woodworkersbookclub.com ) for years. You get 4 books when you join, you only have to pay for one. Every month or so, you will get a flyer, and you can either choose a book, or pass for that month. For each book you order, you get a point. When you collect 4 points, you get a free book. Be sure to decide wheather you want a book or not, if you do nothing, you will get the month's selection.

These aren't cheap generic books, these are the best woodworking books available. Also, if you don't order a book at least once in 6 months, you will lose your membership.

I have no affiliation with the WBC, it's actually owned by Popular Woodworking magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    I know that you asked for a general woodworking book and I do not have a recommendation for that, but I can recommend a really good video about using you new table saw. It is "Mastering Your Table Saw" by Kelly Mehler. I am sure that a Google search will turn up several places to purchase it if you are interested.
    I've been looking at buying this, but have put it off for awhile. Amazon has them for $20. It came very highly recommended to me (as a novice woodworker)

I have three different books covering table saws. The one that I return to most often is "Mastering Woodworking Machines" by Mark Duginske. It's not fancy, only black and white illustrations, and covers all of the normal woodworking machines in one book so there's not so much on table saws. However, it's down to the Earth going into the typical problems that you meet in practice.

Another book on the subject is "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin. It has all kinds of recipes for making jigs and fancy cuts. Nice illustrations too.

Tom