Thread: Delta 36-680 early gloat!

Delta 36-680 early gloat!

The little Rockwell 9" saw I got works OK, for the small stuff I've used it for, but the gear that moves the blade between 90 ~ 45 degrees broke and a replacement is $54! I also can't find the blade guard in the boxes of stuff I got. So I had been reading here and looking around on Amazon and noticed they had the Delta 36-680 on sale, with free shipping, for $579. They also have a rebate for $150 bringing the total down to $429. Pretty good price from what I've seen... I was afraid they would drop the free shipping, yesterday was the last day of the 10% off sale, so I went ahead and ordered one. The ship date wasn't expected till the end of the month, so I figured I had a couple of days to mull over the buy. Today, I went to Western Tool to look at one "in the flesh" and liked what I saw. They had them on a manager's sale for $549 and a $50 rebate for a final price of $499 for the 2 they had left. (The manager said Delta was coming out with a new model.....argghhh).

Anyway, when I came back and logged into Amazon...my order was getting ready to ship and I couldn't cancel/change it! So it looks like I will be the new owner of a 36-680 in a couple of weeks or so. It did seem like a nice saw, and really all I need. Comes with 2 cast iron extension tables and a really nice T fence that appears fairly accurate and consistant. Delta also has a rebate offer for buyers to receive a free blade worth about $55. I think I'm gonna like it.

Any comments from owners, users or other experts?

Greg

Greg,
    I bought this saw last October from Western Tool Supply for $550(I think) with a rebate for a EB3 looking miter guage, that I really like. I think you got a great price. I really enjoy mine because I was previously using a benchtop. I just spent this last weekend making some ZCI's and closing up the bottom and back for dust control. I think you will enjoy it. I put one of those Ridgid Herulift moile bases on it that are selling for $29 at Home Depot and it is pretty slick. Congrats and enjoy your new saw.
    Cary

Congrats Greg! $429 is a really nice deal on that saw....it should do everything you want it to. The new model has a built in mobile base and a new look to the legs, otherwise is about the same.

The 36-680 should have a 36T Delta blade inside the box, but it's not one I'd keep longterm for a primary blade. With the money you saved, you should be able to pick up a real nice blade or two.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-22-2006 at 9:51 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Greg, Congrats on the new saw, you're gonna like having a quality too to cut with. As for buyers remorse, I have it after everything I buy. Some I'm still sorry I bought but what the hay.

Greg, good for you! I looked it up in a tool catalog to see what you are getting, the saw will serve you well and you got a great price....now with that savings you can buy more stuff !

Greg,

I have had that saw for a year and a half now and as far as contractors saws go I think you made a great choice for the $. I got mine at Western Tool when they first came out for a price similar to yours and it has been a great saw. Really heavy and stable with the Cast Iron wings. I have often ripped 8/4 Hard Maple and Oak with no problem (with a full kerf WWII). Couple of suggestions.
    1) If you are going to hook up a DC, build your own dust collection plate for the bottom instead of buying Deltas. The delta plate only allows a 4" DC outlet and is flat at the bottom so a lot of dust collects inside the saw.
    2) A router table inserted off the right wing is a great idea and adds working surface and weight for stability. If you do this HTC makes a mobile base which you can special order which extends out to the ends of the fence so you can add support legs. This is a much better setup than the new built in caster system on the new delta model IMHO (but also a bit pricier).
    3) A link belt is a nice upgrade.
    4) Pals alignment system would make alignment a breeze. I wish I had known about these when I bought mine.

Congradulations, as I said before I think you're really going to like the saw. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks, everyone.

I have overspent as it is....dang Amazon! But I will have a just a few bucks for some really needed stuff...LOL

There is a rebate for a saw blade, so that will help. Here's the blade...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...36765?n=228013

John,

Any more specific ideas on the DC mods for the unit?

A router table would be nice, and maybe a later option, but I need to keep the saw really compact and mobile right now, till I get my "shop" better arranged.

Is the "link belt" a belt, or bearing? Do you have a part number/link I could use?

Thanks for the advice on the Pal system too, I'm going to order today.

Thumbs up It's on it's way....

Just got notification today that the saw is on it's way! Appears that main box is on ABF freight co. and the fence and possible the stand are on UPS. There are 3 boxes, #1 with ABF and #2 & #3 on UPS. Delivery is listed as March 30th!

I also found the Contractor Saw performance package, which includes a steel arbor pully, a steel motor pully and 4' of link belt, for the Delta saw, for $57. Supposed to really make them smooth...

I gotta get the shop clean, quick!
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 09-05-2006 at 2:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Koch
    Thanks, everyone.

I have overspent as it is....dang Amazon! But I will have a just a few bucks for some really needed stuff...LOL

There is a rebate for a saw blade, so that will help. Here's the blade...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...36765?n=228013
    That blade looks like it may be one of those made by Leitz. If so it should be a pretty nice blade.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Well, the saw got here and I'm in the process of getting it together. I have a few things to get done to the shop, before it's up and running, but I have a few things going. I found a 240V socket tucked in a corner of the house (I noticed it when we move in 6 years ago, but never needed it and forgot it's there). I confirmed I have juice with a multimeter. The wire is 8 guage, with only one socket. We have a laundry room, so the previous owner must have had something going on.... I have looked at the diagram and will be wiring the motor for 240V operation.

I got the PALS adjusting system to keep the blade true to the table/fence.

I'm replacing the original pulleys with machined steel ones and replacing the belt with a Link-Belt.

I'm mounting the saw on a Herc-U-Lift mobile base I got at HD for $29.

I also have to clean a lot of stuff out of the shop to get it in and set up with an outfeed table and some other additions I'm planning.

I found the 10" Gold Tenryu 40T blade at a contractors saw shop in town...$89. They're really impressed with it. Amazon, King Tool and Western Tool didn't have it. Anybody know where I can get one at a better price?

G

Congrats, Greg. As I've seen mentioned here, you'll only regret buying a good tool once, whereas you'll regret buying a cheap one every time you use it. From the specs and reviews, it looks like you got a great deal on a nice saw that'll take you several notches higher in capability. I was especially glad to see you got the Herc-U-Lift base. I have one on my TS, and especially in a tight shop, it's great to have four swivel wheels instead of just two (as I have on other mobile bases).

- Vaughn

Hi Greg - I don't know where to get the Tenryu GM cheaper, but Holbren.com has the Ridge Carbide TS2000 (TK and full kerf) for $80 shipped, and Amazon has the Freud F410 ($95 shipped), the WWII TK ($80 shipped), and the DeWalt DW7657 for $50 shipped....the DW is a real sleeper in this category and about the most bang for the buck.