Thread: 220 Conversion for DC

220 Conversion for DC

Is anyone running Delta's 50-850 DC at 220V? When you converted it, did you need to purchase a different switch? I'll be receiving my 850 on Monday (i'll post gloat pics then) and would like to convert it to 220V. I checked out the manual on the Delta site and there was nothing about converting it to 220V. I phoned my service center and they faxed me a wiring diagram, but didn't say anything about a new switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nick

Nick, for safety reasons, tools running on 240V should have a double-pole switch to interrupt both sides of the line.

Most tools that can be converted to 240V come from the factory with a double-pole switch already installed; if there are 4 wires connected to your switch, it is double-pole and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Clayton
    Is anyone running Delta's 50-850 DC at 220V? When you converted it, did you need to purchase a different switch? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nick
    hi nick,

the delta 50-850 dc has to be 're-wired' to operate at 220v(it doesn't need a new switch - just the rewiring.) it comes all set to go at 110v. it sounded a bit confusing to me, but apparently delta's support line will walk you thru the re-wiring info if you call them. here's the only instructions that i found in the delta manual:

"If it is desired to operate your dust collector at
    240 volts, single phase, contact your local Authorized
    Delta Service Center or qualified electrician for proper
    procedures to rewire your dust collector motor for 240 volt
    operation and wiring a 240 volt attachment plug to the
    power supply cord."

i seriously considered getting the same delta dust collector as you but ended up buying a grizzly 1029z instead. the only reason i chose the grizzly over delta is because of the same questions you have about converting to 220v. with the grizzly all i had to do was buy and attach the proper electrical plug(110v or 220v) - i attached the plug and away it went at 220v.

they are both great dc's and i hope your conversion to 220v is a simple one.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Doyle
    i seriously considered getting the same delta dust collector as you but ended up buying a grizzly 1029z instead. the only reason i chose the grizzly over delta is because of the same questions you have about converting to 220v. with the grizzly all i had to do was buy and attach the proper electrical plug(110v or 220v) - i attached the plug and away it went at 220v.
    Rick, I mean no offense, but I fear you're confusing the issue.

The G1029Z (according to Grizzly's produce literature) can be operated only on 220V. Attaching a 110V plug to it, as you mention above, would be hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    Nick, for safety reasons, tools running on 240V should have a double-pole switch to interrupt both sides of the line.

Most tools that can be converted to 240V come from the factory with a double-pole switch already installed; if there are 4 wires connected to your switch, it is double-pole and you're good to go.
    Actually, in the NEC there's no requirement that the motor controller (i.e., the thing that turns the motor on and off) open both poles. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not a requirement. See 430-84. There is a requirement that the motor "disconnecting means" open all ungrounded conductors, but the plug and socket connection fulfills that requirement.

With some equipment, the motor overload protection is built into the switch. When you convert from 120V to 240V you cut the current in half, and the thermal overload circuit needs to be changed; thus a new switch is needed. I don't know if this is the case with the Delta DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    Rick, I mean no offense, but I fear you're confusing the issue.

The G1029Z (according to Grizzly's produce literature) can be operated only on 220V. Attaching a 110V plug to it, as you mention above, would be hazardous.
    hi kent,

what a dummy i am !! what i meant to, and should have said, is i bought the 1029z because it was prewired for 220v and all i had to do was attach a 2-pole 220v plug. i obviously confused my dc with the grizzly 1028z which is the one that can be wired either 110v or 220v - just like the delta. like my decision on the delta, i chose the 1029z over the 1028z because it already came prewired for 220v.

my apologies for any confusion i may have caused - thanks for pointing out my mistake.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

I bought the 50-760 last fall, and I DID have to buy a new switch when I went to 220v. I had to wait 4 months for the switch to come in but luckily I could still use the DC by plugging it in to turn it on and unplugging it to turn it off. The new switch looks just like the one it replaced and it cost around $27.

I would assume the same would apply for your model because they apparently use the same switches for many of their machines.

Does anyone have the Delta part number for the 220v switch? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Clayton View Post
    I'll be receiving my 850 on Monday and would like to convert it to 220V.
    You haven't even received this tool yet, and you are already planning on converting it to 240 volts...Why???...because apparently someone told you that you would get more out of it at 240 than 120. Right?

Wrong!

This is a 1-1/2 horsepower motor, and it will operate just fine from the original 120 volt circuit. Had you asked this question after you actually tried hooking it up to your outlet, then I would be more willing to entertain your question, but asking this beforehand is just silly; to put it politely.

The motor will not give you more power, run cooler, cost less, last longer, or any of the other cockamamie stories that people have told you. Unless there is something specific about your electrical infrastructure in the shop that won't support a 1-1/2 hp motor, then this is a foolish avenue to pursue.

Relax Rick,

That post is almost 2 yrs old. I think he's probably got it wired by now

Greg

Foiled by the datestamp bandit!!!

CURSE YOU DATESTAMP!!!!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

12. Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    That post is almost 2 yrs old.
    I hate it when people dredge up an old thread as though it was new without telling anyone. I can't even count how many times I have written a response to a question, only to discover at the last minute that the question was 3 years old. Normally I spot them because I read them the first time, but sometimes they slip through.

one more reason to have "eternal edit power" over our own posts
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Just completed 220 conversion on Delta 50-850

Nick

Just completed converting the DC to 220 volts. When you remove the 6 screws that hold the switch cover on the motor, you will find a wiring diagram showing how to make the change. Takes all of 5 minutes as you only have to swap a couple of wires and cut off one ring terminal to permit wire nutting that wire with another. No additional parts needed.

Why convert? I have had this DC for probably 10 years and ran it on 110 all that time. When I moved the DC to the new woodshop this fall, I kept tripping 20 amp breakers on start up. I replaced the capacitor which permitted the motor to start just fine without the fan attached but with the fan, it would trip the breaker. Took it to a repair guy who looked it over, tested it and shimmed the thrust bearings. Brought it home, same scenario - ran fine without the fan, add the fan, trip the breaker. Reviewed the situation with a couple of electricians. In the old shop, the DC was on a 110 20 amp circuit protected by a ITE breaker. The new shop uses a SquareD Homeline SQ series 20 amp breaker. The mag trip on the SquareD breakers seems to be very sensitive compared to the ITE's. Note: I was also having problems tripping breakers in the new shop with a portable air compressor and my 8" jointer so I know it isn't just the DC and it is multiple circuits / breakers.
    Converted the DC to 220 and have not had a problem since.

So, you can convert it easily, no new parts are required and there are reasons to do the conversion.