Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antivirus Realtime File Scanning

I've also come across several virus that have actually deleted Mcafee and Norton (and AVG ). The virus would actively unload most virus scanners while reloading itself to defeat most efforts to manually remove it. If you get one of those into your PC as a zero day infection (before your scanner is updated to recognise it) you are in deep doo-doo no matter that scanner you are using. Lots of fun using Hijack-this and Regedit while running windows in 'safe mode' . Sometimes it's just easier to nuke the PC and reload windows.

Value for money AVG is way ahead, and I believe it works just as well as the expensive ones.

None of them are 100% secure.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Abraham
    I've also come across several virus that have actually deleted Mcafee and Norton (and AVG ). The virus would actively unload most virus scanners while reloading itself to defeat most efforts to manually remove it. If you get one of those into your PC as a zero day infection (before your scanner is updated to recognise it) you are in deep doo-doo no matter that scanner you are using. Lots of fun using Hijack-this and Regedit while running windows in 'safe mode' . Sometimes it's just easier to nuke the PC and reload windows.

Value for money AVG is way ahead, and I believe it works just as well as the expensive ones.

None of them are 100% secure.

Ian
    I recently helped an idiot friend of mine nuke and reload his computer after he caught something that prevented AVG from accepting updates. (It also hijacked most of his web browsing and turned his computer into a dog.) It's the first time in 5 or 6 years of using AVG that I've seen something get through. Then again, this guy surfs adult sites and will click on anything that moves, so he completely brought it upon himself. I'm another happy AVG (free version) camper, but I'm also running other defenses and being prudent in my web habits.

- Vaughn