Thread: Lots More Pics ***

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Lots More Pics ***

Mike Rubes has submitted the photos he took at 5 Barns. I have added those to the 5 Barns Photo Gallery. Thanks to Mike

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Mike Schwing Guest
    Cool pics Ken. I have one question - how the he** do you turn a freakin' cowboy hat?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schwing
    Cool pics Ken. I have one question - how the he** do you turn a freakin' cowboy hat?!!!!!
    Mike,
    We had a guest demonstrator at last month's meeting (July) of Triangle Woodturners of North Carolina. Soren Berger hails from New Zealand and took 30-45 minutes to turn a small hat (~6" diameter). Soren said that you need WET wood, the wetter the better. His cuts looked remarkably similar to turning a bowl. The main differences were leaving a rim and going REAL THIN! He learned from Johannes Michelson who originated the technique and has turned hats for 12+ years. One part of the technique is place a gooseneck light shining directly behind the crown when hollowing it out. Johannes told Soren that the light should BLAZE through the wood, not just glow.

Soren did tell us two tips: One, push the thinness. That's the only way you will develop your skills. Two, if you punch through the crown, use the blank as a flying disc (aka Frisbee(r) ;-).

Cheers,
    Bob
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

You miss it last year???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schwing
    Shoulda been at Mike Tubbs last year for that one. I'm sure he'll post a pic if you ask.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Sweeney Pics

I have also added a 4th page to the gallery and placed Tom Sweeney's photos there -- if anyone else has pics please send to me and I will add those also. The gallery seems to be a hit - - - - the last time I checked there had been 1588 visitors there.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken, I'm coming up blank. Are your links correct?

So........I mosey'd on over to WoodCentral and tried your links there with the same results - links didn't work for me. Since you all seem to be enjoying the pics it must be a glitch at my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Laros
    So........I mosey'd on over to WoodCentral and tried your links there with the same results - links didn't work for me. Since you all seem to be enjoying the pics it must be a glitch at my end.
    Tony,

I "borrowed" some of Ken's pics and set them up at my site if you want to try it. I don't have all of them up but would be willing to if other peopel are having trouble. Here is a link...now the format is slightly different then Ken's. Just an FYI

http://www.alkinburgh.com/gallery/5barns

Noah

Thanks Noah, but now Ken's links are working for me. Looks like BG's gathering was a great time.

Tony