Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Minimax S45?

Question Opinions on Minimax S45?

G'day. I'm in the market for a first bandsaw (home hobbiest). I was looking at the Minimax S45, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this model, or on a first bandsaw purchase in general? Thanks large...

Robert,

From what I've heard - it is a good machine. It should be! 12" resaw.

Now - a lot of people recommend the MM16 at this price point because you can get it to your door for about $250 over the S45...and its got double the power and also 500 lbs.

OPTIONS:

Grizzly makes a 21" BS for $1595 #G0566 ( I think) that you may want to take a look at.......

There is also the Rikon 18" for around $1200

Now - neither of these saws are the equal of the MM, but just options to consider. They all have cast iron wheels.

welcome robert! the mm16 is a much better saw than the 45 for not much price difference...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I said the same thing when I looked at the S45 at the 2004 woodworking show. Not enough difference in price, I'll save my money a little longer and get the MM16. Then last May, the E16 was introduced in a very limited quantity for 1000.00, and I decided it would be a better choice for me since I had (have ?- still not hooked up ) never used a bandsaw before. It is fairley comparable to the S45 in ability spec wise, but a little lighter weight wise. I still like the MM16 set up for the lower blade guide distance from the table. It is very interesting that MiniMax has not shown any more info on the E16. Everyone I have heard from that got one of the early ones, and has actually used it says it is a good machine for the money. I guess the final word on it will be what it would normally sell for in relation to the MM16. Still might not be enough difference at full price on the E to the MM to make it the better buy over the MM. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Robert,

Depends on what you plan to use it for. If you want to resaw a lot get a MM16 otherwise the S45 will do anything the 16 will do. I've got an older model and it cuts thru 4" of walnut like it isn't there. I do not resaw veneer and only occaisionaly resaw solid stock to size. Mainly, mine is used for curved work, it's 18" versus 16" for the MM16. I do have the aftermarket Carter guides on it. And never have a power problem with good blades. I purchased mine used and the guy I got it from replaced it with a MM24"
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

Robert,
    I have seen the S45 and it is a absolutely beautiful little saw, from the, IMHO, nicely milled table to the built in wheels in the base to move it around. I truly believe it is the nice "little" saw out their no matter what it is against, including General (Canadian). It is a light duty/hobbiest saw though. I would say it is made for scrolling type work and "general" type bandsaw work. If I ever had the space and $$ I will definately has this saw in my shop to compliment my MM24. The MM line is just a completely different line....heavy duty industrial saws. The two really are not in the same league for intended use

Thanks everyone!

I'm 99.9% sold on the MM16. Much, much more than I need at the moment, but I know my shop (and skills) will grow into it. Thanks one and all...

Rob.

Here is a picture of the new S45. There are a few note worthy features, It has a larger table than MM16, larger wheels 18 inch which means deeper in the throat, 12 inch resaw, fit and finish is excellent, integrated mobility kit, better finish on the the table. And it has a high/low feature on the fence. MM16 cast iron fence is better than the S45 extruded aluminum fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 03-26-2006 at 6:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Here is a picture of the new S45. , better finish on the the table.
    I really don't understand why everyone is so "Hepped up" on a glass smooth Shiny Finished table. The Grind on the MM 16 and others (including my MM20 and FS350), actually cost more to do than a shiny finish AND create LESS drag when pushing material across the table, than a table with a Shiny FINISH grind/polish. Note: my CRS is active tonight, and for the life of me, I cannot remember the NAME of that Grind.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I believe it is called a blanchard grind finish? I have it on all my Minimax stuff except for the MM24. I hate shiny finishes period. I find the blanchard grind is easier to work with, shows no wear and to me just plain looks better..... and by the way the S45 has the blanchard grind as it is made by Mini Max, Italy not Centauro.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    I really don't understand why everyone is so "Hepped up" on a glass smooth Shiny Finished table. The Grind on the MM 16 and others (including my MM20 and FS350), actually cost more to do than a shiny finish AND create LESS drag when pushing material across the table, than a table with a Shiny FINISH grind/polish. Note: my CRS is active tonight, and for the life of me, I cannot remember the NAME of that Grind.
    Hi Norman: I couldn't remember the name "Blanchard Grind" (thanks Paul)

The S45 has the Blanchard grind, while the MM16 has a shiny finish. As Paul stated as well as yourself, the Blanchard Grind is prefered becuase of it's "slickness"

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    I believe it is called a blanchard grind finish? I have it on all my Minimax stuff except for the MM24. I hate shiny finishes period. I find the blanchard grind is easier to work with, shows no wear and to me just plain looks better..... and by the way the S45 has the blanchard grind as it is made by Mini Max, Italy not Centauro.
    Actually, and I may be remembering this wrong, I think it is made by Meber for Mini Max. Meber made a version for Laguna before they dropped it and MM picked it up. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Actually, and I may be remembering this wrong, I think it is made by Meber for Mini Max. Meber made a version for Laguna before they dropped it and MM picked it up. Jim.
    Trust me on this one (hey you wanna buy a nice bridge). The S45 has always been made by Mini Max...the Meber saw you are referring to was one of those E16's they for a very short time...that saw was also made under the Laguna name.

Grinding methods

Hi all new here to the creek and I have been reading all the bandsaw threads. I'm leaning towards a Laguna but that's another story. As far as grinding goes a long time ago I worked for a precsion Machine toool builder in Rhode Island, Brown & Sharpe so I have seen all of these methods of grinding done. First you start with a milled surface then Blanchard grind then finish grind. The finish grinding leaves a nice smooth shiny surface and cost quite a bit more to actully do. Having said that a good machinist running a Blanchard grinder can achieve a geometriclly good part but it will have a rougher surface finish. With any of these grinding methods coolant and feed rate are very important so that the part does not heat up in the grinding process. Blanchard grinding and finish surface grinding are totally different types of machines. I used to build surface grinders.

welcome david!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.