Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Unisaw & old friends

Old Unisaw & old friends

I first saw the Unisaw pictured below about 38 years ago.
    It was setting back in the corner of a tool shed belonging to a school mates parents. After I was bit by the woodworking bug in junior high school I tried to buy the Unisaw from my friend's Dad. He would not sell it because he said they use it sometimes. I made several more unsuccessful offers during our school years. Upon finishing high school my parents presented me with a Delta tablesaw. It was not a Unisaw but it served me well until I could buy my own Unisaw. After getting the saw from my parents, I never thought about that old Unisaw again, until 2 weeks ago. I saw an auction bill. My friend & his parents decided to quit farming & where selling everything. As I read through the sale bill I noticed a Delta table saw listed. I thought this could not be the same saw that i craved when I was in school. Being one to not go to auctions, let alone farm auctions, I decided to take the day off & go.
    It was a very enjoyable day. I had not seem my friend & his family for several years. We got to catch up on years of lost time & I also got to see alot of other friends I had not seen for several years. To top the day off I got to come home with that old Unisaw. It is a little worse for wear than it was when it was when I first saw it. But it was never used during all that time. I know because we had had dropped something on the plug back then & smashed it. It still has the same smashed plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool old saw chris! a little sweat equity and she`ll purr for another 50 yrs! .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Great story Chris. I assume you'll be restoring the saw?
    "Why do witches burn?" - sir Bedevere
    "Because they're made of wood?" - Villager

nice story... you do have a labor of love on your hands now

best wishes
    lou

Great to get reacquainted with old friends - human and machine. Post pictures during and after the restoration. Best of luck.

Looks like you have quite a job ahead of you. Good Luck!
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Great story and reunion! Keep us posted on the restoration!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ya, a little work required, but not only is it a great old saw, it has history with YOU, too. 'Can't ask for more than that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one very much like that. My cabinet is not as rusty but it's got to be stripped just like yours does. Have you looked to see what year it is? You can look it up by the serial number. Looks very much like mine and it's a 1948 model. Also like mine yours appears to be very original!

Great story!! Even after all those years the table looks to be in great shape dirty but in great shape. The base and the motor on the other hand are gonna need some work.

New handwheel handle

I hope you enjoy your rebuild, I know I did. Here a link from Enco for the revolving handle on the tilt wheel. I drilled and tapped my wheel for this one:
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Works great. If you need a manual go here, www.sawcenter.com

Cheers

Chris, what a great story, and a nice find! Are you planning on restoring it and using it? Looks like it will keep you busy for a while! Thanks for sharing!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

I can't wait to see the before and after pics on this one! Neat story...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the great story Chris. I hope you restore the saw -- it's hard not to love old iron! Take a look at the Walker-Turner jointer for inspiration; a friend gave it to me. See the link below for more pictures. This machine runs like a baby Cadillac!

http://home.comcast.net/~kc7cn/walkerturner/

That will be a cool machine when you are done. I wouldn't know where to begin! Congrats and good luck.

Corey