Thread: Starting them young

Starting them young

Hi, Last Saturday I signed my 14 yr old son up for some bowl and spindle turning lessons at Woodcraft in New Castle DE. He got some lessons about 3 yrs ago from Bill Grumbine but didn't really get into it. He wanted to start again. The instructor said he learned real fast. The bowl is the one he turned during the class. The other pictures I took of him today turning a small goblet in the shop. Now if only he could transfer that consentration and attention to detail to his schoolwork.
    take care,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent!

And perhaps the attention to detail here WILL rub off elsewhere...sometimes "successes" are required to make that happen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I suspect the earlier lessons weren't lost, just hidden. That is a great piece - especially if he really were a beginner.

Very nice John. Great that your son shows an interest in something you do. The bowl looks great and it looks like he has a real nice goblet going there!

Corey

John,
    Congratulations on being able to get your son in the shop. It seems the apple might not fall far from the tree.
    If you look way back and try to remember, studying takes time from thinking about girls. Looks to me your son is on track

Brian

I vaguely remember being 14 years old. Made straight A's until I got to this age, then discovered girls. Have not been the same since. This may be just the thing to get him focused on something positive.
    Keep up the great work.

John, it's a great feeling working alongside him and showing off his stuff, isn't it? Takes great parents to inspire a young fellow today, too many other distractions. These are the times you both will remember with pride for the rest of your lives.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Hmmm... That's child abuse!

John,

I surprised at you having your son use a JET! He should at least be working with a Oneway!

Nice work!

Joe