Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 1/2 or 10

9 1/2 or 10

In my future shop, would I really notice the difference between having 9'6" high ceilings vs. 10'? I don't want to get in to the reason why I'm asking this question because it will probably start a big thing. I just want to know, at that height, would six inches be that big a deal?

Well, if this is the shop of your dreams, you should know the answer.

Rob,

As the age old saying goes, " I'll take every inch I can get"
    or "give em and inch they will take a mile"

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

If it's not a big deal to add the 6", go for it. I'm in a shop where the ceiling clearance is 6'6" to the bottom of the floor trusses. An exra 6" would be a huge difference to me.

The only materials that you'll save money on are nails, mud, and paint.
    Only the Blue Roads

Looks like I'll need to be more clear. It's not really a cost issue. I want to raise the floor six inches to run DC and electric under it. By doing so, I'll lose six inches of wall height. If the walls were 8', I know it would make a difference. I'm hoping it wouldn't at 10'.

Okay. If that meant losing access to the ductwork for maintenance, unclogging, or retrofitting, I'd avoid it.
    Only the Blue Roads

I have 9' and it is enought for what I do. If I had 10' I would GLADLY give up 6" to have the underfloor setup that you are talking about.

Hi Rob,
    Nice problem to have! I have 10'+ ceilings with drops for all my DC and power cords to each machine and I would gladly give up some heigth to hide as much infrastructure as possible. I assume you can (pre)engineer/design so you can change your layout as you may need to. I initially was going to design covered trenches in my slab to run all my duct and power, but ran out of time in figuring out the design. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Good idea and good luck, JCB.

As Andy mentioned, unless you have access to your DC ductwork under the floor for maintenance and changes (you will invariabley have the latter at some point...trust me...), I'm not in favor of under-floor dust collection most of the time. As to the 6"...you probably will not notice it either way most of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Germany, Gross-Bieberau, a small town in a rural area south of Frankfurt
    My shop has 12'. Seems to be a lot and at the very beginning I thought that´s too much. Later on building a staircase I changed my mind. Seems it depends what you are doing.

One problem with a higher ceiling: you need more wattage für lighting or you may have to bring the light (lamp) some way down to the place where you work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    Looks like I'll need to be more clear. It's not really a cost issue. I want to raise the floor six inches to run DC and electric under it. By doing so, I'll lose six inches of wall height. If the walls were 8', I know it would make a difference. I'm hoping it wouldn't at 10'.
    Wood Floor, then?

Personally, I doubt that I'd notice the difference. it's still more than your standard 8'. (which I almost have in my basement shop)

On the other hand, I just carried a 10'4" board into my shop today, and I can't stand it on end. But that doesn't really matter, as I'm going to break it down pretty quickly.

Note that this is also less volume to heat or condition.

Best wishes,
    ...art

Oh...Art reminds me. If this means getting a wood floor, than I'm ALL for it, even if you don't put any utilities under it! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rob,
    ... I thought you posted a picture of a female and were asking us if she is a 9.5 or 10.

Yeah, the wood floor is a big part of it.