Thread: Mesquite Slab Value?

Mesquite Slab Value?

Well, here I am again, asking for advice. I know I'm in the right place. An estate auction on Saturday is advertising two Mesquite slabs, 48" long, 12" to 18" wide and 4" thick. If they are fairly solid and not a bunch of splits through them, what are they worth? I'm thinking some turning blanks and maybe resaw thinner for small boxes or whatever.
    Thanks In Advance
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

If they're 'reasonably' clean, you could expect to sell them for at least $10 bf...it's just awfully hard to buy it that thick in that length..nevermind the width. I know a guy who'll gladly give you $15 bf for one slab if it's clean enough for table legs...PM ME if you're interested...

KC

I have never heard of wood at an estate auction going anywhere near market price... usually a great bargain. So be sure to look bored, reluctantly offer a low bid, make a comment about Mesquite being great for cooking steaks, sell a portion to KC, and retire on the profits.

Kirk, Charlie,
    Living in the hinterlands of eastern WA, desert area, I assumed mesquite grew like sage brush and tumbleweeds which we have plenty of. At best, maybe pen turning stock. I didn't think mesquite came that large and am a bit dubious if it really is mesquite. I will take a look at the auction preview on Saturday and take pictures. Its a farm auction.
    As far as bidding, I'll make sure to talk it down during the preview if anyone else shows an interest, "I need some shelving material and can't afford pine". "They are probably worth $10 or $20 apiece. I need some cheap lumber" kind of thing. Wish me luck. I'll post results here. Hopefully a gloat or at least let you know what it went for.
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Kuhn
    Kirk, Charlie,
    Living in the hinterlands of eastern WA, desert area, I assumed mesquite grew like sage brush and tumbleweeds which we have plenty of. At best, maybe pen turning stock. I didn't think mesquite came that large and am a bit dubious if it really is mesquite. ....
    Ernie
    I, too, thought mesquite was firewood until I saw some of stuff that KC made... take a look at his web site. It's awesome.

Charlie,
    After my original response to you both, I looked at Kirk's site and, one of those referenced on his site for Longhorn Mesquite Works. Certainly saw/learned more than I knew before about Mesquite and saw some extraordinary work. It corrected my misconception about the wood. Anxiously looking forward to the auction on Saturday. Supposed to rain here (not normal on "the dry side" of Washington) on Saturday. If it does, hopefully it will keep the attendance down, to my advantage. Will post the resultant prices here.
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Kuhn
    Charlie,
    After my original response to you both, I looked at Kirk's site and, one of those referenced on his site for Longhorn Mesquite Works. Certainly saw/learned more than I knew before about Mesquite and saw some extraordinary work. It corrected my misconception about the wood. Anxiously looking forward to the auction on Saturday. Supposed to rain here (not normal on "the dry side" of Washington) on Saturday. If it does, hopefully it will keep the attendance down, to my advantage. Will post the resultant prices here.
    Ernie
    I hope Randy (Longhorn Mesquite Works) is reading this. I've often said I think he does the best 'finished rustic' work in the mesquite biz.

And thanks to Charlie for the plug.