Thread: Delta Grinder Problem

Delta Grinder Problem

I may have screwed up a perfectly good low speed Delta grinder. I wanted to change the gray 60 grit factory wheel to a white 120 grit. Found the nut over tightened and pulled out the instructions to be sure I was going the right direction. Simply put, I mis-read them.

I could entertain you with a list of what happened like ripping the 100 pound grinder right off the table. It was lag screwed in. Or repeatedly smacking the back of my hand with a hammer while trying to cold chisel the rest of the gray wheel off the shaft. I would just succeed in proving how stupid I am. Funny how reason goes out the window when the temper engages.

Hours of frustration later. I've either stripped the threads off the nut or I've spun the shaft. I believe I've stripped the nut. It stays in place, hard against the wheel holding plate and spins with difficulty. The shaft doesn't appear to be spinning.

Any suggestions on how to remove this nut with out doing any further damage. I seem to remember a frozen nut cracker being sold years ago. Is that product still available? Another thought, use a small grinder to cut a slot in the nut and crack it with a cold chisel.

In the light of a new day reason has returned (finally?).
    Possumpoint

2. Oh man Richard, don't feel bad, I've been there before!!

I once totally buggered up a perfectly good mt bike because I got it in my head the wrong way round which side of the bike left hand threads were on holding the crank in place, ruined the whole bike as I stripped the threads in the bike frame....not one of my better days

You can buy a nut splitter......

Attachment 35122

but you can also do the same thing with a cutting tool, a Dremel etc.

One thing you could do, is to re thread the shaft with the next smaller threads.

Also, from now on, paint the left-hand threads red, the nut and the shaft, it will save the day, I know!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:22 AM.