Thread: I hate painting

I hate painting

Last night I put a coat of primer on 4 sides of the carcase of the storage cabinet I'm going to put under my cabinet saw. On the way home tonight, I remembered to pick up a couple of those small rollers from HD. Primed the back and the inside and reprimed 3 sides of the outsdide in less than 1/3 of the time. Still hate painting, but hate it less when it's fast.

Finsh coat, then it'll be time to make the drawers. Then more painting. Ugh.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I know what you mean, Gary. Only my painting has been the guest room. Tried painting 2 walls a dark red. I like the color, but the coverage is horrible. Primed the walls as dark as I could get the primer (pink) but the red is more like a glaze. Where I cut it in the corners, then rolled against it, there is a dark line that will not go away. Looks like it will get primed again, then painted the Khaki color of the other 2 walls Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Paint??? Paint on a cabinet in the shop? Not stain or a fine oil finish? No BLO, no tunge oil?? Shame on you shame shame. You must of meant to say a storage box for the wife or a part of a dog house or something, right?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

It's MDF. I thought the paint would help it stand up to moisture a little better.

And the box for the wife will be bloodwood and yellowheart.

Gary, If it's true that missery loves company....I'll be joining you soon. LOML just informed me that the entire downstairs needs painting.

Ohhhhh the pain.....

Quote Originally Posted by john whittaker
    Gary, If it's true that missery loves company....I'll be joining you soon. LOML just informed me that the entire downstairs needs painting.

Ohhhhh the pain.....
    Now that may be a good enough reason to buy an HVLP sprayer...

Gary next time you paint MDF try using Rust-o Hammered finish spray paint. It's real neat looking and you have to look hard to recognize the material being covered as something but MDF. You do have to prime first but I use spray primer.

This was my first project and was more satisfied with the finish than the project it's self.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 03-29-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Hey Jim, that looks pretty good. For shop MDF stuff, I tend to use whatever paint I have laying around. I may have to try that tho.

I think I'd worry about ventilation a bit tho. Its been kinda warm, but I wouldn't want to carry that thing up and down the stairs.

I need a garage shop some day.

Gary I did paint it outside on a warm day in the spring 2-3 years ago. I was pleased with the finish on the outside of the unit. Found you have to really put alot of paint on the flat panel to get that hammered look. If it's to thin, the way you would normally use spray paint, it will not give that hammered detail. One can of primer and one can of paint did the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    I know what you mean, Gary. Only my painting has been the guest room. Tried painting 2 walls a dark red. I like the color, but the coverage is horrible. Primed the walls as dark as I could get the primer (pink) but the red is more like a glaze. Where I cut it in the corners, then rolled against it, there is a dark line that will not go away. Looks like it will get primed again, then painted the Khaki color of the other 2 walls Jim.
    Jim, pink was probably not the way to go for a tinted primer. Under red, you might have found that a dark gray would have done a better job for you. That being said, deep colors can be very tricky--in years past their coverage was abysmal, and those paints are still in use even though there are better paints out there designed for two-coat coverage with a deep color. Years ago, I did several jobs that required 3-4 or more coats to get walls fully covered. The dark line of overlap from rolling to cutting is actually where you are getting closer to full coverage--everything else needs more yet.

Glidden has a very good interior/exterior accent paint. I think it might even be called "Color Accents". While I often like Sherwin-Williams' paints, I don't like their interior deep accent base.

Addy protocol: pro painter
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore